Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Sorry if I offended you. All caps is considered shouting. Red color indicates Anger.

Just internet etiquette

Once again, sorry to have offended you.
NOT TRUE PRODUCTION LEGHORNS WILL LAY 350+ 360+ EGGS A YEAR MILLE FLEUR LEGHORN ARE NOT A PRODUTION LINE OF LEGHORN HOUNESTLY THEY ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PRODUCTION LEGHORNS THEY ARE MORE OF A FANCY LINE OF LEGHORNS BREED FOR COLOR AND LOOK AND NOT LAYING ABILATY SORRY

Last edited:
Lets go back to the basics of this thread. Dr. Bramwell and his unnamed friend developed these from a COMMERCIAL strain of White Leghorn and a pure Araucana.

It is doubtful this new breed can ever be duplicated by any other person. using a different variety and/or strain of Leghorn and Araucana would most likely just develope another Easter Egger. This cross produced a breed that breeds true. It produces Black, Blue and Splash offspring. Techincally that would be 3 varieties of a new breed. It has a pea comb and white earlobes.

Hopefully this fall several of us with these will be able to share our hatching eggs with others. My thoughts are looking at a new breed of exhibition bird. Be nice if a poultry judge could get some and thus be able to draft a Standard for them.

First goal I have is.....to get these eggs hatched!

The rest will come if and only if...these eggs hatch!

Lets go back to the basics of this thread.

Lets go back to the basics of this thread.
This thread is intended for the discussion of the two new developments of Blue Egg layers from the University of Arkansas. This is not for discussion on Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas etc. Photos and updates will be added as available to post #1.

From an email ....

Quote:
We have a few of the B eggs set in our incubator. Does anyone have photos of these? We are actually looking forward to seeing what these look like and how well they lay. These are not an Easter Egger, per se. But a new breed developed in cooperation with the Unversity of Arkansas.

The commercial leghorn blood is not hatchery lines, but research lines from the commercial industry.

The egg is similar in color to his Auracana eggs and vary from medium to large in size.

We plan on keeping a breeding pen of these and seew hat they reproduce.

Can you imagine a Blue Egg layer that lays like a factory, battery layer

The actual "Blue" eggs from U/A in our incubator:

Photo below is of the Research Farm and Poultry Science Department.

Thanks Jim, love to hear about these birds. It would be a shame if the thread got locked due to excessive zeal. Obviously we are all very interested in this project, or we would not be here. The pictures have been great.

i have nicnamed them UofA blues

i hope DR BRAMWELL don't mind
hide.gif

here are my new babys

Dr. Bramwell and his friend have not named this new breed yet. I ahvea sked for his friend to contact me with his preferred anme, or via Dr. Bramwell. I suggested perhaps the UA students could name them. Not sure if the developer is in Arkansas or ? so I guess UofA Blues is better than nothing.

i have nicnamed them UofA blues

i hope DR BRAMWELL don't mind
hide.gif

here are my new babys

Very exciting to hear about this new blue egg layer. Earlier this year a friend suggested Ameraucana x leghorns. and that is my summer 2012 project. I have blue Ameraucanas and will likely purchase leghorn pullets in March to get this project off the ground.

Is this a EE? Probably not given the leghorn breeding. Is it a mutt? In the best sense of the genetic mix creating a useful hardy creature. Hybrid crosses are very useful. It's an old livestock breeding technique that is very effective.

Jim, congrats on the newly hatched! GL. Do post pics of the blue babies.

Definitely needs a name! Bluebacks sounds very descriptive. GOod suggestion Ridgerunner. Maybe we can adopt that name until the originators decide. OR Jim, can you create a poll for us to vote on a name?? Just a thought--could be fun to come up with a name until it's offically named. Hopefully this wouldn't step on the toes of the U of A.

Bluebacks
Bluehorns
Blue Araucahorns
Arkansas Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom