Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
These do breed true to the Andalusion type blue. However, techically they come in Blue, Black and Splash. So calling them an Arkansas Blue would not be accurate.

These are not an Easter Egger, as they do breed true.

We two hatched this morning. A Blue and a White sport. Will be interesting if more whites hatch.

Has anyone else had a white hatch from these?

These do breed true to the Andalusion type blue. However, techically they come in Blue, Black and Splash. So calling them an Arkansas Blue would not be accurate.

We two hatched this morning. A Blue and a White sport. Will be interesting if more whites hatch.

tecnaly calling them UofA BLUES or ARKANSASS BLUES would be corect because anny blue will breed blue -black -splash

for example BLUE ANDALUSION is the mane of the breed but the breed blue- black- splash
another example BLUE HEN OF DELAWARE is the name but they breed blue-black-splash

so by maning them -------- BLUES would be an corect dicription due to the fact that anny andalusion blue breed will also through blue-black-splash

We have a Spalsh Orpington that hatched two weeks ago. It was gray. This chick is snow white.

As for names, I do like the sound of the Arkansas Blue. But did Dr. Bramwell's friend live in Arkansas ?

Last edited:

Would you mind adding pictures of your new chicks when they are all dried off? It would be neat to see what the white sport looks like.

I wikll try to take a photo later and post of the Blue chick, the White and our older Spalsh Orpington. We also haves oem from the last ahtch taht are White. They do not match anything Dr. Bramwell sent us or has. They are snow white, pea combs and clean shanked. No beard or anything. They have to be a white version of the Blue. when this chick ahtched only one other chick had hatched, blue. We did have other breeds in the hatcher, but only two had hatched. Both from U/A Blue eggs.

Will post photos as soona s I can. First, pick up turkey hen from post office. Second, finish turkey pen! later!

Lets go back to the basics of this thread. Dr. Bramwell and his unnamed friend developed these from a COMMERCIAL strain of White Leghorn and a pure Araucana.

It is doubtful this new breed can ever be duplicated by any other person. using a different variety and/or strain of Leghorn and Araucana would most likely just develope another Easter Egger..
I´ll have to disagree with you here.. the egg laying mutt can be reproduce with available stock.. I myself can get my hands on commercial production type white leghorn and where you get the O gene(blue egg shell) its of no concern. all you have to do is make sure you have about 98% leghorn blood in there and you will have a leghorn that lays blue eggs... that´s simple enough...

Arkansas Blues works for me! Many breeds have names that needed to be the right name to become popular. Bourbon Red turkeys did not originate from Kentucky. But the name sure fits the color. THere is a B/B/S chicken sold at a big name hatchery that is called a blue. They only sell the blue chicks.

If they don't get on the ball and name this new breed, we might do it for them/him.APA needs 5 breeders and something else to be APA eligable. Marans now have 2 varieties APA listed. Sorry don't know much about this end of chicken breeds.

Arkansas Blues. Nice sound to it.

I´ll have to disagree with you here.. the egg laying mutt can be reproduce with available stock.. I myself can get my hands on commercial production type white leghorn and where you get the O gene(blue egg shell) its of no concern. all you have to do is make sure you have about 98% leghorn blood in there and you will have a leghorn that lays blue eggs... that´s simple enough...

not trying to cause an augment but about 4 years ago i looked into getting the parent stock for broilers and laying hens to start my own hatchery... now understand these are the male and female line F1 crosses so even if u bred these u wont have the same hybrid vigor as in the parents... before they will even talk to you you have to put up a 25,000$ bond and sign a confidentiality agreement... so if you can get some of them go for it because i gave up lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom