Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
...as your Orpingtons are at being from a hatchery...

Thanks for the compliment.
big_smile.png

I love my Orps.

I was pretty impressed with some Buff pullets that someone posted pictures of from your stock over on the Imported thread, nice birds.

Quote:
Thanks.

Granted these Blues may never go beyond a backyard bird. They may never go beyond the few that currently has them. But a layer that starts producing eggs at 4.5 months is a nice addition to any backyard. Plus they are a beautiful color.

I recall when the first Ameraucans were being shown. Folks were on opposite poles. Some were so excited about a new breed. Others were horrified taht a hatchery bird was being shown. In the end, two new blue egg breeds were accepted in the Standard.

We do understand it will take years before these are close to a Standard. Meanwhile, we have a high production backyard layer.

As the breeders of these birds work hard and compare notes, we will grow closer to a breed Standard. Just as we get there, some hatchery will announce them available at $2 per chick!

I do like these, but I like my Orpingtons better!

i like the idea of these birds because they are the 1st (that i know of) commercial type blue egg layer... the only reason i see to try to get them in the APA is to preserve them if not i doubt they will be around for more than a few years... and i don't think there where very many breeds that where intended to be included in the APA from the start... most where bred for utility and then years later where excepted into the APA...
Ok true, many breeds were originally a production bird first then admitted to the APA second. I just wanted to say that it was no goal of the creator or of anyone at the U of A, to one day have this breed be recognized.
I also do not think that these birds will disappear if they are not admitted. Since there are hatcheries carrying them, more people will likely buy them therefore numbers will increase. Easter Eggers are not recognized yet there are many of them around the country. (granted Easter Eggers are not a "true breed"), but there are still a lot of them.

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like an Easter Egger to me!
wink.png
Yes, when you look at it from a production point of view, a bird that lays blue eggs, and really is only a backyard layer. But they look very different from Easter Eggers sold by hatcheries. and unlike Easter Eggers these birds only lay a BLUE egg. Easter Eggers as you know lay green eggs and various other shades.

Last edited:
The Wyandotte was a backyard bird in the late 1800s. Everything has a start. The Ameraucana was just an Easter Egger until they drafted a Standard and started breeding to that Standard. A judge I clerked for once disqualified a hen, after he had already placed it Best of Breed. He was choosing the class and this hen, in front of us, laid a brown egg. Normally it would not matter, but the Standard does state what color the egg is. Not many hens lay in front of judges. But she did and was then DQ for the wrong egg color. The Amerucana now has many varieties, all bred to the one Standard.

With this Blue egg layer there is the possibility for the following varieties: Blue, Black, Splash and White. That is what we are seeing. No other coloration. Plus the egg color is the light Blue that I posted. I saved an egg shell from this spring. The new eggs are the same color.

Did I say eggs? Yes, she also laid a beautiful Blue egg yesterday! Now I have to get a chart and keep records. We are planning on housing these in pairs so we can get an accurate egg count.

HFF.... doing great I see, glad ya have a pullet laying and as far as egg count pairs are easiest............ I have EE's and have yet to see 2 identical chicks........... a close match in I of my hatches, 2 very similar roo's this spring, but as far a standard for EE's I really think it is not possible, because hatcheries will add any old breed to the flock and not 1 hatchery has of yet used the same roo over the same colored hens...each has there own variety they like, .last year I got all wild type from cackle, this year I had a credit so I got some from McMurry totally different looking birds but 4 the muff and comb you would never guess they were the same breed, different type, tail set, and body size........... all over the place...... I have 3 new pullets laying only 1 blue/green egg the other 2 lay a tan egg close to a BR in color......... all have muffs/beards, and a pea comb though..... and this yeaar half of them are not wild type, they are almost a lemon barred bird.

I really like the Arkansas Blue myself, and I'm hoping someday to own a few, I think there beautiful, and I love blue eggs............ I wish the EE's could guarantee ya a blue egg that would be a step in the right direction anyway..... keep up the great idea's and looking forward your input in these lovely birds........ Kim

Call them what you want, but in the end if the Creator sold them to hatcheries he probably gave them a name.

Last edited:
Just a thought here. If someone wanted a bird that lays a blue egg only, which seems to be the case, why not breed a line of pure Ameraucanas that lays a blue egg? The standard does say under the economic qualities that ". . . [the egggs] having a distictive blue coloration"( Standard of Perfection p. 200). So maybe cross the AR blues with some blue or black Ameraucanas? They would already be recognized and within the standard description, and there would be a line of birds thats lays the desired blue eggs.
These AR blues already have pea combs, and they have mostly slate shank color. the only thing you would have to get rid of would be the yellow skin, and yellow bottoms of the feet. then its just selection for type, beards, ect. Maybe more people would be interested in these blue egg birds if they can show them right away instead of going through the process neccesary to get them recognized. I dont think it would take more time to work for Ameracauna type than what it would take to try and get a set type for these AR blues.
For that matter you could even do the same thing with black Aracaunana

Last edited:
Just a thought here. If someone wanted a bird that lays a blue egg only, which seems to be the case, why not breed a line of pure Ameraucanas that lays a blue egg? The standard does say under the economic qualities that ". . . [the egggs] having a distictive blue coloration"( Standard of Perfection p. 200). So maybe cross the AR blues with some blue or black Ameraucanas? They would already be recognized and within the standard description, and there would be a line of birds thats lays the desired blue eggs.
These AR blues already have pea combs, and they have mostly slate shank color. the only thing you would have to get rid of would be the yellow skin, and yellow bottoms of the feet. then its just selection for type, beards, ect. Maybe more people would be interested in these blue egg birds if they can show them right away instead of going through the process neccesary to get them recognized. I dont think it would take more time to work for Ameracauna type than what it would take to try and get a set type for these AR blues.
For that matter you could even do the same thing with black Aracaunana

It is probably because Ameraucanas and Araucanas are not well known for their egg-laying abilities. They are known for ornamental that also lay blue eggs. These are blue birds that lay blue eggs that have Leghorn in their background to increase their laying abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom