Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now now children, lets not fight.
highfive.gif
"Brothers have gotta hug"
love.gif

That's easy for you to say!

I am exhausted! Delivered a coop and 6 juvenile Buff Orpington Bantams to a preacher in Little Rock, then met up with Elias. He delivered the other two Blue egg layer pullets - a Splash and a Blue.

Seems some quack at UA sent me, via Elias, a case +4 flats of assorted breeds hatching eggs!

My Narragansett tom (They called him Casanova) is settled in on a roost with his two hens; the Blues are in separate coops (will add cockerels to both tomorrow) .

I still have to sort the UA hatching eggs, count each breed and post on our SEARK Poultry Club and 4H poultry club FB pages what we have and see if I can find homes for all of them.

At some point I will try to catch up on the conversation on here!

plus, I am teaching a Sunday school class in the morning and still need to read the lesson plan!

If I ever catch up with that quack who cleaned his egg room out today.....
smack.gif

Seriously, thank you Dr. Bramwell....where ever you are!
bow.gif

ETA: Also have to go back out and get the BLUE egg the kids missed gathering. 3 days and 3 eggs from the Black pullet!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote: Does anyone have a exhibition type Black Ameraucana cockerel of high quality available? Trade you some blue eggs for it!

Seriously, that is not a bad idea. May only take 2 generations to cull the bad stuff out and have a showable BBS Ameruacana that produces a true Blue egg with high production.

Okay, so I am reading BYC instead of sorting eggs. I am curious what you all wrote today while I was working hard!

Note: at 10:49 Pm I am no longer responsible for any typos or spelling errors!

To echo what has been said, anyone have any of the BBR/leghorn style blue egg layers?

I may be wrong, but I believe that flock was removed from the UA program and other breeds have taken their place. They sent me some pullet eggs of those new breeds. I am hatching them myself. May share some juveniles of them later with our local youth. With 5 children, we have our own poultry club! Just my family shows up at church and the place is full!

as far as the WHOLE NAME BIT here are my thoughts

when MR HALL first gave my son some eggs i called DR bramwell to ask what they where he said " they are a progect production blue egg laying line " that a friend had been working on there pupose was to produce high numbers of evenly colored blue eggs

I later got some eggs for myself and they are verry evenly colored nice large blue eggs

so when it comes to a name why not blue egg layers i do not know of any other breed call blue egg layers do you ??? and that is what they are in both cases 1-they are blue and are a production line bird 2- they lay blue eggs. so by calling them blue egg layers you are defining exacly what they are

and when it comes to the EE calling the term EE has come to be refering to a MUTT or MIX or anny chicken that lay a colored egg and there are a lot hoo find the term " its just an EE " to be verry insulting and "rude"

it also means a bird that could lay a green or blue or tan or pink or cream or lite brown EX EX EX this is where the term EE came from the fack that a flock of these birds could produce a colorfull basket of eggs like an easter egg basket that was allready colored so the term EE dose not work when decribing these birds as they ALL LAY EVENLY COLORED BLUE EGGS

On another thread, Walt Leonard was talking about folks that develope a new breed and want to name is something ridiculaous like Aunt Ellie's Flower Petal or something long like that. The APA Standards Committee (Walt being chair) would never accept such a long name. Something like Arkansas or at least a single word name would be best. Arkansas Blue would denote is origin (or as close as they will say) and its egg color. In the end, should this bird, the Blue egg layer, come before the Standards committee, they will decide what they want to call it. As stated in an earlier post, the Partridge Albertan was renamed Partridge Chantecler, in protest from its own developer. Sometimes what the developer wants to call something is not always what it is called. Like the Lavender/Self Blue issue. But that is for a different thread on hopefully a different forum.... like MarsBackyardPoultry&2-HeadedSpaceMonkeys.com

I personally like either Arkansas Blue, Arkansas or Razorback.

506376.jpg

After all, UA is in Arkansas, right?

This coming weekend... Razorback football starts! I am excited and I don't even like football!

Date
Opponent
Results
Media
Sat, Sep 01 Jacksonville State Fayetteville, Ark. 6 p.m.
PPV
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Sat, Sep 08 Louisiana-Monroe Little Rock, Ark. 6 p.m.
ESPNU
spacer.gif
Sat, Sep 15 Alabama * Fayetteville, Ark. 2:30 p.m.
CBS
spacer.gif
Sat, Sep 22 Rutgers Fayetteville, Ark. TBA
Sat, Sep 29 Texas A&M * at College Station, Texas TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Oct 06 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Oct 13 Kentucky * Fayetteville, Ark. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Oct 27 Ole Miss * Little Rock, Ark. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Nov 03 Tulsa (HC) Fayetteville, Ark. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Nov 10 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Nov 17 Mississippi State * at Starkville, Miss. TBA
spacer.gif
Fri, Nov 23 LSU * Fayetteville, Ark. 1:30 p.m.
CBS
spacer.gif
* Conference Games
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&SPID=2419&SPSID=30723

The main problem I see folks having an issue with as far as crossing these birds with ameraucanas is the earlobe color. These birds seem to have such good white earlobes on them and I know with the araucanas, if you breed a bird with a tiny bit of white in the earlobes, it takes ages to get rid of it.

If all goes as planned, I might have my own line of the blue egg laying leghorn looking birds. I am working on a legbar project and have some legbar/leghorn crosses, all are barred light brown. I plan to breed most of the pullets to a legbar cock but if I can get my hands on a nice brown leghorn rooster, I'll breed some of the more leghorn style hens to him which should give me some single combed (these are all rose combed right now), blue egg laying, light brown leghorn pullets and crele looking leghorn cockerels.

Its not a fertility problem that the Araucanas carry it is a lethal gene that causes them to die in shell before hatching. From what I understand that is part of the reason that the Ameraucanas were developed, to create a true breed that is easier to keep and breed. These are just created to have a high yeild of large blue eggs, which is a trait that the current Easter Eggers lack.
Ok you do raise a good point, some people may not like the "frills" as you call it, but then many people do like the look of ear tufts or beards. I was just trying to make a suggestion for people that wanted a recognized breed that they can show that lays a blue egg.
We have a flock of true rumpless Aracaunanas at the U of A and we do not seem to have any fertility problems with ours, and we have not and will not AI. We also have some bearded breeds (Favorelles, Houdans, and Silkies) and eating and drinking seem to not be a big obstacle and neither do eye infections. However, i do believe you when you say that you've seen these issues in your own flock.

By the way, we no longer have the blue feathered blue egg layers at the U of A. you would have to get in contact with someone who is starting to raise them, I'm sure someone on this thread can help you get some eggs.

Why would it be named after Arkansas?
I may be wrong, but I believe that flock was removed from the UA program and other breeds have taken their place. They sent me some pullet eggs of those new breeds. I am hatching them myself. May share some juveniles of them later with our local youth. With 5 children, we have our own poultry club! Just my family shows up at church and the place is full!

On another thread, Walt Leonard was talking about folks that develope a new breed and want to name is something ridiculaous like Aunt Ellie's Flower Petal or something long like that. The APA Standards Committee (Walt being chair) would never accept such a long name. Something like Arkansas or at least a single word name would be best. Arkansas Blue would denote is origin (or as close as they will say) and its egg color. In the end, should this bird, the Blue egg layer, come before the Standards committee, they will decide what they want to call it. As stated in an earlier post, the Partridge Albertan was renamed Partridge Chantecler, in protest from its own developer. Sometimes what the developer wants to call something is not always what it is called. Like the Lavender/Self Blue issue. But that is for a different thread on hopefully a different forum.... like MarsBackyardPoultry&2-HeadedSpaceMonkeys.com

I personally like either Arkansas Blue, Arkansas or Razorback.

506376.jpg

After all, UA is in Arkansas, right?

This coming weekend... Razorback football starts! I am excited and I don't even like football!

Date
Opponent
Results
Media
Sat, Sep 01 Jacksonville State Fayetteville, Ark. 6 p.m.
PPV
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Sat, Sep 08 Louisiana-Monroe Little Rock, Ark. 6 p.m.
ESPNU
spacer.gif
Sat, Sep 15 Alabama * Fayetteville, Ark. 2:30 p.m.
CBS
spacer.gif
Sat, Sep 22 Rutgers Fayetteville, Ark. TBA
Sat, Sep 29 Texas A&M * at College Station, Texas TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Oct 06 Auburn * at Auburn, Ala. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Oct 13 Kentucky * Fayetteville, Ark. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Oct 27 Ole Miss * Little Rock, Ark. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Nov 03 Tulsa (HC) Fayetteville, Ark. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Nov 10 South Carolina * at Columbia, S.C. TBA
spacer.gif
Sat, Nov 17 Mississippi State * at Starkville, Miss. TBA
spacer.gif
Fri, Nov 23 LSU * Fayetteville, Ark. 1:30 p.m.
CBS
spacer.gif
* Conference Games
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&SPID=2419&SPSID=30723

The main problem I see folks having an issue with as far as crossing these birds with ameraucanas is the earlobe color. These birds seem to have such good white earlobes on them and I know with the araucanas, if you breed a bird with a tiny bit of white in the earlobes, it takes ages to get rid of it.

If all goes as planned, I might have my own line of the blue egg laying leghorn looking birds. I am working on a legbar project and have some legbar/leghorn crosses, all are barred light brown. I plan to breed most of the pullets to a legbar cock but if I can get my hands on a nice brown leghorn rooster, I'll breed some of the more leghorn style hens to him which should give me some single combed (these are all rose combed right now), blue egg laying, light brown leghorn pullets and crele looking leghorn cockerels.

The Leghorn that was used in the Blue egg layer development was not the hatchery or exhibition Leghorn. It was from the commercial industry. These are the birds that lay 300+ eggs a year. Someone has been swapping "Super Blue Egg layer" on some of the swaps. Sounds great. Similiar crosses as these. But the developer did not have access to the commercial strains.

Example from the Shaver website:

Quote:
And the NPIP site at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/npip_codes.pdf

These are patented/registered names for strains of White Leghorns. WEe may never know which strain was used. But we do know, these were not backyard birds or retail hatchery birds.

Quote:
WHITE LEGHORN (NON-EXHIBITION) (A)

A
A- A1-ARBOR ACRES A2-ANDREWS-NL
A2-BABCOCK A3-CAREY A5-COLONIAL
A6-EURIBRID A7-GARBER A8-H AND N
A8-H AND N-NL A9-HALEY A10-HUBBARD
A11-LOHMANN A12-MERRILL A13-PARKS
A14-SHAVER A15-TATUM A16-WELP
A17-HANSON A18-DEKALB A19-HYLINE
A38-KENT-NL A45-MARCUM-NL A58-ORLOPP-NL
A00-MIXED

jim i know you love your razerbacks but the truth is the name arkansas dose not fit the breed at all and because you are not the one who created this line and your are not the one who helped work on this line so in all hounesty YOU REALY HAVE NO SAY IN WHAT THERE OFFICIAL NAME WILL BE sorry if this offends you but it is the truth

so again let me say lets call them what they are BLUE EGG LAYER untill those that created the breed/ line give them a name

PS. of corse everyone has the right to call them whatever they like but think about it you call them arkansas and no one will know what you are talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom