Blue egg layers??

Quote:
Now I want silkies.

Quote:
Just so every one's clear, Silkies do NOT lay blue eggs.

phew, I didn't think so....not sure why that was even posted...

Quote:
An Ameraucana AND Araucana will produce a blue tinted egg. An "Americana" often sold by hatcheries is another name for an Easter Egger. Ameraucanas are an actual breed with standards, an EE is just a mutt and can lay blue, green, pink, brown, or white eggs.

Quote:
Now I want silkies.

Quote:
Just so every one's clear, Silkies do NOT lay blue eggs.

I'm sorry. A lady I work with told me her mother used to get blue eggs from her silkies. I'm sorry for the misinformation.

Quote:
An Ameraucana AND Araucana will produce a blue tinted egg. An "Americana" often sold by hatcheries is another name for an Easter Egger. Ameraucanas are an actual breed with standards, an EE is just a mutt and can lay blue, green, pink, brown, or white eggs.

Stacykins,

Thanks for the post. I'm new-enough to chickens to NOT have a lot of knowledge about this, but the site I posted is the Ameraucana website. Blue eggs must be so fantastic. (Aesthetically, I like Ameraucana better that Araucana--so I would instantly rule Araucana out). So Ameraucanas are quite rare from what I hear, but one hatchery does sell 'hatching eggs' of ameraucana, but for hatched chicks they only sell Easter Eggers. Other from that route, if someone wanted to get true Ameraucana they would have to contact a breeder. -- right?

And so many Easter Eggers that are pictured on this forum look like quite appealing chickens. You say they are mutts--- which means they aren't in the standard, but they do have a green or blue green egg possible, does that mean that somewhere in their background the blue-egg gene came in from an Ameraucana a or Araucana?

Hope you revisit this thread....because this has been kind of a puzzle to me. Thanks if you have some info to clear it up.

Last edited:
I was not aware that there is a commercial hatchery that does sell genuine Ameraucana eggs. Many will advertize their chciks as such but they are actually EE's. Nothing at all wrong with EE's, I have been raising them for years. My current flock I have had for 12+ yrs. and they lay only blue eggs. Actually EE's were around before Ameraucana's. My first blue egg layers in the '70's were called Araucanas but were what is known today as EE's. I also raise the true Araucana's and even their eggs will vary in color from blue to a blue/green color. The original breed standard called for an egg the color of a robin's egg. The closest of this color that I have personally seen came from a pb. Ameraucana. Charlie

Quote:
Check out MPC.
smile.png
They advertise their EE's as EE's and not Americanas, etc.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Fertile-Hatching-Eggs/Hatching-Eggs-Blue-Ameraucana-p629.aspx

Quote:
That's the one
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Fertile-Hatching-Eggs/Hatching-Eggs-Blue-Ameraucana-p629.aspx

They say that the hatching eggs are Ameraucana not Easter Eggers, but the chicks that they sell are Easter Eggers. ---- I knew I had seen it someplace on the web. They make the distinction in the advertising between the two. (Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas)

Thanks AccentOnHakes!

The photo on that web site shows a fairly dark blue color of the eggs too. I can understand that the colors vary, photo exposures vary, monitors vary etc. and for distinction and advertising they would have to show the bluest of blue eggs to diffrentiate. I suspect over the years that the breed has been in the standard, breeders will have selected for the truest/darkest blue eggs. On the otherhand, robins egg is a very pretty color too.

Thanks for the info

i had a friend with a silkie that layed green eggs so it depends on the cross but yes a pure bred silkie lays a pinkish brown egg

as for blue eggs as OP asked for only Araucana is a original blue egg layer

al the other like EE, Cream Legbar, Ameraucana, Ameracana, they lay a Green Aqua, or Olive egg which is a cross with a Blue egg layer (araucana) and any or selected Brown Egg Layers

Back
Top Bottom