Blue eyed German Shepherd?

Kessel23

Hi Bug
6 Years
Feb 6, 2018
Wisconsin
So my family breeds GSD, we have Whites and Pandas. One of the Panda pups in this girl's litter has an almost greyish eye color, all the others are dark brown. Panda German Shepherds are supposed to commonly have blue eyes, I was wondering if this guys eyes would turn blue as he matured. I have not had a blue eyed GSD but I have seen a few adults from other breeders. This pup's mom came from a litter that had a blue eyed male. The mom is the granddaughter of the original Panda GSD so she definitely carries the blue eye gene. I know with other brown eyed pups at this age their eyes are almost black with a little dark brown around the edges and then as they grow there is a lot more brown around the outside, will that happen with this pup? Is this just wishful thinking?

I can't get a great picture but this one kinda shows what his eyes really look like... The other pups all have dark brown in the area where this guy has that greyish blue color. He is around 5 weeks right now. To the left I will include another pup pic, it is his sister from the same litter, this is what her eyes and the other puppy's eyes look like right now.
29472514_940148232827961_8176797594693926912_n.jpg
29472639_940149659494485_1963717201588387840_n.jpg

sadly, the vast majority of Panda GSDs aren't actually purebred. Not saying that your dogs aren't just that so many people are ripping people off.
out of dozens that I've met only 1 wasn't an obvious mix of ACD or other breeds

My dogs have been DNA tested and proven pure, I did not ask you for your opinion on the breed, I asked you if the dog's eyes were blue. All the pandas are descended from 1 original panda, as I said the mom of this pup is that original panda's granddaughter. I own two breeding panda's, both are females, and both have been DNA tested and again, are 100% german shepherd. All my whites have also been tested they are, again, all 100% german shepherd.

If anyone is wondering more about the color then I can give some basic info. The white pattern is caused by a genetic mutation called a KIT mutation. KIT mutations also often causes blue eyes. This mutation is not the same as the piebald mutation found in other dog breeds. The KIT gene is completely dominant, a dog can not carry the KIT gene without showing the panda patterns. This means that at least one parent has to be a Panda in order to produce Pandas. This also means that the Panda pattern can overlap all other colors of german shepherds, this makes me wonder how you would tell if you had a white panda. My pandas are bred to White studs, you can not breed two pandas together. Two pandas can't be bred with each other because well they would be related but also because of a issue that is presented by the KIT gene but I would rather not get into that now...

Edit: and yes i'm sure there are fake pandas but the bigger problem is bad breeders who inbred the pandas to make quick cash and are now producing dogs with all sorts of health issues.

as a breeder of GSDs for over 13 years I know about Pandas. White pandas would be known by the same genetic color test that can be given to any dog to learn color genetics. Hopefully you are already doing genetic screenings on the dogs anyway for DM. Either send to a company who does both tests or send a second swab to another lab.

I already do genetic tests on all of the breeders, as I said before. My family has been breeding GSD for 13 years and we have had them around for the past 19 years, almost 20, i'm not sure if I already mentioned this. We have only had the Pandas for 2 years, all of our other dogs were/are Whites. I know I could test the white pups to see if they have the KIT mutation but I would rather not test all of them just to find out their color genetics... In the litter that this pup was in the mom had 4 whites, 4 pandas, and 2 sables. I don't really want to test all four white pups to see which ones carry the KIT mutation.

When we sell the pups we provide the genetic papers of their parents, we also let the customers come and see the parents. The customers come to our house, see the pups, see the parents, and see all the paperwork for them. We also already bring the pups to the vet for their first set of shots and health check before we sell them. Along with that we will refund or replace any dog that has health issues that we could be to blame. We have not had to refund anyone in the past 13 years. We also have our own website online with our dogs on it and tons of information.

Again, I did not ask how to start a business of breeding GSD, I did not ask for anyone's opinion on the breed. I did not ask how to run a business, how to sell dogs, or anything of the sort, I asked if this puppy has blue eyes! You seem like you have a lot of experience with GSD, would you mind answering my question, does this puppy have blue eyes?

Back
Top Bottom