Blue Favaucana

Greetings, have been trying to find out as much as I could about the Favaucana , specifically the Blue Favaucana and I haven't had a ton of luck. Now than my baby is 15 weeks as of this post I am fairly confident she is actually a she I hope that maybe the few pics I have may help out someone else who may be wondering.

Also I encourage anyone who may have one (or several) or even breed their own to add to this as I am certainly no expert on the breed, but have found a real lack of consistent information out there.

As for her general appearance and temperament she seemed to have a bit more of an upright posture that had me guessing as I didn't see that much in the other pullets I have. Maybe that's just her breed or shes really a cockerel hiding behind a small pink comb :lol: She is a sweet and friendly bird but is a little skittish. I think that's more on me because I had 25 chicks to divide my time between handling so no one got a ton of attention unlike the first 6 I started with 5 years ago who were super spoiled in comparison. Then at 5 weeks when they moved into the coop it was a bit less.

First few pics were taken at 4 weeks of age then some at 15 weeks. If I knew that I was going to be making this thread I would have been a bit more consistent and taken pictures every week to document her development.

So far that's all I can offer but I hope maybe it can help. Again, I encourage anyone who can add to this to do so, I would also love to learn more.
That's a pullet if I ever saw one!

Meet Poppy, my new Favaucana from Sugar Feather Farm in Vermont. (Picked her up yesterday.) She's about 14 weeks old. I've been scanning Favaucana threads to learn what folks know about them. Poppy will be part of a small flock, all girls.

Poppy.jpg

Meet Poppy, my new Favaucana from Sugar Feather Farm in Vermont. (Picked her up yesterday.) She's about 14 weeks old.
Poppy's so pretty, but are you sure she's a Favaucana? Beards, muffs, pea combs, and feathered legs seem to be the common traits that your little pullet doesn't have. You'll have to let us know what color eggs she lays when she gets older. :)

Poppy's so pretty, but are you sure she's a Favaucana? Beards, muffs, pea combs, and feathered legs seem to be the common traits that your little pullet doesn't have. You'll have to let us know what color eggs she lays when she gets older. :)
Yeah, I agree she doesn't fit all the traits. I purchased her directly from the farmer who raised her so I take her at her word. (I also have Salmon Faverolles for comparison.) In the end, it doesn't matter much to me. I will report back on her eggs once she starts to lay.

Based on the lack of traits mentioned, in addition to the white ear lobe, and the overall coloring, and based on a quick look at the website of the farm you mentioned... I’m pretty sure that she is not a Favaucana, but is probably an Icelandic breed hen or maybe an Icelandic cross.

Problably just a simple mixup... she’s a pretty bird in any case.

For anyone that might be interested here’s a couple pics of a blue 2nd generation Favaucana cockerel from this years hatch. His papa was Favaucana ( 1/2 faverolles & 1/2 Ameraucana) and his mother was full Ameraucana... so he’s 3/4 Ameraucana I guess.

he has a nice light blue cotton candy beard and no leg feathering, and only four toes

B33A44BC-EEF5-48E2-B4E4-9187C22F25E4.jpeg
BFBAA0DD-C56C-489A-98D2-262C724A274D.jpeg

Here is a pic of a 2nd generation black Favaucana pullet... her parents were both blue Favaucanas...

I hatched two of these this year, both are black with a nice green sheen, her sister looks just like her, both have nice beards and feathered feet.
CE3BE73D-D25D-4083-AD6F-701E97B776ED.jpeg

the blue hen is a blue Favaucana... either her mother or aunt
2D605588-6259-4AC9-BB8E-24E7EC5080A7.jpeg

Based on the lack of traits mentioned, in addition to the white ear lobe, and the overall coloring, and based on a quick look at the website of the farm you mentioned... I’m pretty sure that she is not a Favaucana, but is probably an Icelandic breed hen or maybe an Icelandic cross.

Problably just a simple mixup... she’s a pretty bird in any case.
Oooh, I'd love it if she's an Icelandic cross. My husband and I have traveled there several times. I did consider getting one, but they prefer free ranging and I can only offer limited time out of the run. She put herself to bed with the other hens tonight. She's only been here for three days so I'm delighted!

Back
Top Bottom