Blue, feathered legs: Is this blue copper marans?

ultraflora

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2015
There is so much knowledge and experience on here, it's amazing! I'm learning so much by reading through everyone's replies.

I'm wondering if my breed guess is right on this chick or if I'm missing something. Anyone know?

A few photos from Week 1 to Week 6:

@BantamLover21, Good question. I ordered from Meyer (first time trying hatchery chicks via the mail) and I ordered late, so ended up going with a couple of specific breeds I wanted and some mysteries. I ordered eight of their Mixed Rare Breeds (which were packed as 4 male, 4 female, but I don't know anything beyond that) and eight unsexed "could be anything" (LeAnn's Grab Bag). So possibilities are limited to Meyer Hatchery birds, but that's it!

The comb is single (and a little less bright than this photo shows, I think the camera was on "vivid" setting) and as you can see, the toes are half pink, half grey (the toes actually look a lot like my Andalusian's). I hadn't thought of Blue Langshan, after looking at some photos, it does seem like a possibility!

EDIT: After looking at Meyer's site, the only Langshans I see are Black (and they're not available this spring), which makes me think it's unlikely (though perhaps not impossible if they have small #s of some chicks or breeding programs ongoing and any of those go out w/ these mix orders since they leave that possibility open in their description?).

Any idea what I should look for as the weeks pass to distinguish this one?

Last edited:
Do folks think there is any chance it's a cochin? If not, I think I'm going with the marans unless something new becomes apparent!
:)

This is one of my sweetest, most docile birds at this point. In the brooder, I could never handle it because it wouldn't jump up on my hands and I tried not to force the few who weren't into taking excursions around the living room! LOL
Within a day of being in the big new coop, though, s/he's very happy to cuddle up on my shoulder or leg to roost.

@junebuggena I think so too but I'm trying not to admit it to myself! whether he's a blue copper marans or something else, he's the only one I have and it would have been cool to get some eggs :)

This thread is old, but I thought I'd send in an updated photo to see what people think at this point, now that this chicken has grown up a bunch more! Still a marans? Any idea what kind?
I do think he's a boy (as discussed previously) but he is still super docile, gentle, not crowing, and makes a lot of contented hen-like noises. I'm waiting to see what happens when the hormones kick in! :)

Back
Top Bottom