Blue Footed Chicken?

Barb Schuetz

Songster
12 Years
May 24, 2007
Viroqua, WI
Anyone ever hear of this blue footed chicken? I guess it's a special treat in France and protected from export so we'll probably never see the French one's here but someone came up with a strain in California that's very similar. I just learned all this on the Food Network- iron Chef America of course. First I heard of it.

When I have more gumption, I'm gonna try to find pics of the blue footed chicken ALIVE- I bet it's perdy! I just don't know what to think about eating silkies though.......

There is an asian market we sometimes visit. They sell silkies in the freezer case for a ridiculous amount of money. They are about the size of the cornish game hens we see in the normal grocer freezer case. However, to me the silkie looks very unappetizing. I think it is a mental thing with me personally.

If I remember right... if you butcher a EE, sometimes after you take the skin off the feet, like before you use it for soup, the legs look pretty blue to me. Silkie legs are that color after you butcher them and take the skin off the feet.

Oh, about silkies. I eat them. You use them to make medicinal soups. :p I'm asian... so it's a delicacy. For an 8 ounce bird... it's like 8 bucks!

I think that blue footed bird is just a slate or green one.

I saw that episode too! Couldn't find to much information on them wasn't in French, though. They breed name is Bresse. I remember they said on the show that there are lays in France that don't allow the chickens to be exported. But there was a farmer in Canada who developed a breed very similar and was able to export them to the United States. They look kinds like a blue footed White Rock, weird.
Here's a true Bresse and some info, too.
smile.png

bresse.jpg

Bresse

I think alot of people on BYC would keep them, would love to see the future xbreeds. Maybe I will have to take a trip to Canada.... hrm

Bubba

Back
Top Bottom