Blue Genetics

ggarratt

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
Midcoast, Maine
I used the chicken color calculator and just wanted to confirm with the Backyard Chicken experts that I did this right. According to the calculator, if I cross my Blue Wyandotte rooster with my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens, I will end up with Blue/Black/Splash chicks. Does that sound right? Will those chicks breed true as Blue Wyandottes?

Quote:
When breeding blue to blue you will always have the chance to get all three colors, black, blue and splash. Blue does not breed true the only way to continually get all blue offspring is to breed a splash to a black. And the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens will pass along their lacing genes and you will get some birds that are single laced. If you want all blue and not laced then you should use solid blue hens with the solid blue rooster.

Quote:
When breeding blue to blue you will always have the chance to get all three colors, black, blue and splash. Blue does not breed true the only way to continually get all blue offspring is to breed a splash to a black. And the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens will pass along their lacing genes and you will get some birds that are single laced. If you want all blue and not laced then you should use solid blue hens with the solid blue rooster.

Blue has lacing, Self Blue has no lacing.

Chris

Quote:

Chris

I thought we were talking about blue and not self blue.....Wyandottes are blue correct?
smile.png

I thought we were talking about blue and not self blue.....Wyandottes are blue correct?
smile.png

The standard calls for penciling around the edge of each feather, so would that mean that they're blue vs. self blue?​

Quote:
Hmmm, I wonder why the calculator is saying they'll be unicolor. I must be doing something wrong. Thanks for the info!

Blue in the U.K. is a solid color as in the bird
33115_australorps_blauw_haan.jpg

Blue in the U.S. has lacing as in this bird
33115_franksbluck.jpg

The Chicken Calculator uses the U.K. type Blue.

Chris

Quote:

Chris

smile.png

Wyandottes are Blue yes but they have lacing and not a, "solid Blue" as you stated in your post.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom