1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ggarratt, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ggarratt

ggarratt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    I used the chicken color calculator and just wanted to confirm with the Backyard Chicken experts that I did this right. According to the calculator, if I cross my Blue Wyandotte rooster with my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens, I will end up with Blue/Black/Splash chicks. Does that sound right? Will those chicks breed true as Blue Wyandottes?

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:When breeding blue to blue you will always have the chance to get all three colors, black, blue and splash. Blue does not breed true the only way to continually get all blue offspring is to breed a splash to a black. And the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens will pass along their lacing genes and you will get some birds that are single laced. If you want all blue and not laced then you should use solid blue hens with the solid blue rooster.

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Why would you think that?
    The CCC can answer your last question too. Click "continue with ..." for a cockerel and a pullet and press the calculate button again.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:When breeding blue to blue you will always have the chance to get all three colors, black, blue and splash. Blue does not breed true the only way to continually get all blue offspring is to breed a splash to a black. And the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens will pass along their lacing genes and you will get some birds that are single laced. If you want all blue and not laced then you should use solid blue hens with the solid blue rooster.

Blue has lacing, Self Blue has no lacing.

Chris

5. ggarratt

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    Quote:Hmmm, I wonder why the calculator is saying they'll be unicolor. I must be doing something wrong. Thanks for the info!

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

Blue has lacing, Self Blue has no lacing.

Chris

I thought we were talking about blue and not self blue.....Wyandottes are blue correct? [​IMG]

7. ggarratt

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    I thought we were talking about blue and not self blue.....Wyandottes are blue correct? [​IMG]

The standard calls for penciling around the edge of each feather, so would that mean that they're blue vs. self blue?​

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Hmmm, I wonder why the calculator is saying they'll be unicolor. I must be doing something wrong. Thanks for the info!

Blue in the U.K. is a solid color as in the bird
    [​IMG]

Blue in the U.S. has lacing as in this bird
    [​IMG]

The Chicken Calculator uses the U.K. type Blue.

Chris

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Blue has lacing, Self Blue has no lacing.

Chris

Wyandottes are Blue yes but they have lacing and not a, "solid Blue" as you stated in your post.

Quote:

10. ggarratt

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    Ahh, so if I have a Blue rooster with the blue lacing and cross him with my blue laced red hens, what will happen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by