Blue/Gray Large Fowl Cochin

I do not know why specifically but it is probably because there are so many different variations of splash. One bird could be splash and be completely white with only one splash of blue. Another bird could be almost entirely blue and showing only a bit of white or darker color. It's up to the judges discretion and preference. With the other colors, such as blue, black and white, there are clear definitions of what is desired. Some breeds, splash is accepted, I believe Silkies are one of those breeds. You can show a splash bird in AOV (All other varieties) but will not place higher than the best of variety.

With splash, there's simply no way to regulate unless you go by percentages of body colored a specific color, areas of the body colored, etc.

Splash (Cochins) have never been put forward for recognition by either the APA or ABA. Honestly, you don't see many of them in the show hall, and it's not a variety that breeds true. Splash is a by product of breeding blues and Splash X Splash yields even lighter splash birds. There are some breeds that recognize the variety such as Silkies and OEG's.

If you're just going by a technicality, splash x splash breeds true, even if you do get lighter birds. Blue x Blue does not breed true, yet are accepted by APA standards.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Exactly my thought!

The ABA (and I assume also the APA) have as specific a standard for splash as they have for blue or grey or partridge or any other variety. There is no more or less leeway for a judge on splash than on any other variety (or for that matter breed).

Quote:
Last show I attended, there was only 1 splash cochin entered and it was mine...she has absolutely lovely color and I wanted her to have competition.
sad.png
Just not there.

Splash is a hard color to keep. Due to the large amount of white that yellows with the sun, too much corn, etc....

rodriguezpoultry wrote:
If you're just going by a technicality, splash x splash breeds true, even if you do get lighter birds. Blue x Blue does not breed true, yet are accepted by APA standards.

So as to better define what I said earlier, for me to breed true, you should get replicas of the parents in the offspring. Blue X Blue does yield Blue offspring, so I would say that they breed true, however, that matchup also produces Blacks and Splash. The Splash X Splash doesn't produce replicas of the parents. The resulting offspring are lighter with less blue splashes throughout. If you maintain that matchup for a couple generations they come out almost white.

Sonoran Silkies reference the specific standard (variety description) for Splash. The Standards (APA and ABA) exist so that breeders have a guide for setting goals as far as color and type in their breeding program. I can't speak to how the Silkie breeders produce their Splash Silkies, maybe Sonoran Silkies can share some insight on this with us, but I do know that most Cochin breeders don't breed Splash Cochins. They breed Blue Cochins, and use the resulting Splash to go back to Blacks as part of their breeding programs.​

Back
Top Bottom