blue hatching partridge? ~PICS~

Quote:
what does that mean? i'm sorry i know nothing about blood lines. all i know is that blues hatch out bbs. and does this make the chick worth more when it grows? or worth the same as any silkie?

Any silkie (heck, anything) is worth what someone will pay for it. A few years ago on eggbid I saw a VERY pet quality silkie (pretty ugly by any standard) sell for well over $1000 (I actually think it was something like $1300 or $1500). In my mind it was worth no more than $10 at most. But someone else was willing to pay a lot. I valued my avatar at $300+, but wasn't ever willing to sell her, but if I were to compare her quality with the eggbid bird, mine should have been worth about 50 grand or more.
roll.png
I am personally a bit offended at your constant references to her worth. Chickens are a hobby; not a business. Unless you raise significant quantities or eggs or meat.

As for the genetic stuff, you did ask, and did not explain your level of knowledge. Heterozygous means impure, or split for a gene: one copy of Yes and one of No. Specifically,

1) one copy of partridge and one of probably either birchen or extended black--this is the e-allele genes, the base colouring for the bird

2) one copy of the pattern gne and one copy of not-pattern gene

3) one copy of the melonotic gene and one copy of not-melonotic

When a bird is pure for a gene, all its offspring will receive that gene. When split, half the offspring will receive one of the two variations, the other half will receive the other variation. When both parents are split, for simplicity we'll assume that they both carry the same two variations, about 25% will receive variation "1" from each parent, and therefore be pure for it. Another 25% will receive variation "2" from each parent. The other 50% will recieve variation "1" from one parent and variation "2" from the other. The birds who are pure for variation "1" or "2" will have the appearance associated with that variation. The appearance of those who are split will depend on the dominance between "1" and "2."

Quote:
Blue X Blue should hatch out blues and splashes. However it all depends on what is in the genetic line of the blue parents...Sometimes in chickens just like any animal a latent recessive trait can pop up generations later. I have 2 chicks that were perfect little silver and brown chipmunks and now are feathering in blue wtih gold/red highlights.

Blue x Blue also throws Blacks. 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Splash are the ratios.

Quote:
i'm sorry but i dont see why i offended you, i love all of my pets. i just figured i could sell there eggs and maybe some chicks to make a few bucks just like everyone else on here. anyways, i have another broody
smile.png
she is sitting on 10 eggs so i guess we will see what colors i get
love.gif

Quote:
Pg and Ml are two specific genes. Yes, the e-allele is considered the base. Its alleles are E (extended black), E^R (birchen), E^Wh (wheaten), e+ (wildtype) and e^b (brown). Lots of other genes play an important role in a particular bird's appearance, though. The ^ symbol is used to indicate that the letters following it should be superscripted.

I recommend reading through http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm#basisEN as a good start on understanding chicken genetics.

Quote:
Blue X Blue should hatch out blues and splashes. However it all depends on what is in the genetic line of the blue parents...Sometimes in chickens just like any animal a latent recessive trait can pop up generations later. I have 2 chicks that were perfect little silver and brown chipmunks and now are feathering in blue wtih gold/red highlights.

Blue x Blue also throws Blacks. 25% Black, 50% Blue, and 25% Splash are the ratios.

Correct

Quote:
i'm sorry but i dont see why i offended you, i love all of my pets. i just figured i could sell there eggs and maybe some chicks to make a few bucks just like everyone else on here. anyways, i have another broody
smile.png
she is sitting on 10 eggs so i guess we will see what colors i get
love.gif

I'm sorry; I misunderstood you. Because you kept asking about their quality & worth, it just seemed like their $ value was your prime interest, and that is what offended me. I have no opinion on you selling. Your answer above elaborates that they are not just a commodity, and therefore alters my opinion. Written communication often does not convey the full intent of our message, especially when the writing contains very few words. Pets to love and raise I applaud; being concerned about the betterment of the breed I applaud; make a quick buck off of animals kept only for that purpose I find offensive.

yes i agree Sonoran Silkies , like with MOST ppl that hunt with dogs, they dont really love them as a pet. but i really love my silkies
smile.png
there so pretty

well i had 6 hatch. the blue hen wasnt good at sitting on the eggs after the first one hatched so i had to take some of the eggs away b/c they was cold put them in the incubator. one died last night. so i have 2 splash 2 black 1 blue and i think the one that died was going to be a blue.
celebrate.gif
the first chicks are almost a month lol i cant believe they are that old
smile.png
i'll take pics when i get home of all of them

Quote:
Pg and Ml are two specific genes. Yes, the e-allele is considered the base. Its alleles are E (extended black), E^R (birchen), E^Wh (wheaten), e+ (wildtype) and e^b (brown). Lots of other genes play an important role in a particular bird's appearance, though. The ^ symbol is used to indicate that the letters following it should be superscripted.

I recommend reading through http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm#basisEN as a good start on understanding chicken genetics.

Sonoran, thank you so much I will read and study this information (it's not exactly light reading, ha!) I might have to dust off my degree in Biology from 1973. Does it apply to silkies as well as general chicken genetics ?

Back
Top Bottom