Blue jersey giant breeding.

The other question that RuffledFeathers asked was how to get splash. blue x blue will give you 25% Splash birds.
The entire chart of possibilities:

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash

Black X Black = 100% Black
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Splash X Black = 100% Blue

So how do you breed a blue splash???
hmm.png

Quote:
For blue to be expressed, you need 1 blue gene. For Splash to be expressed, you need 2 blue genes - one from each parent. The blue color may be light to very dark.
One site I have visited called Splash - Blue splashed whites.
Dale-Ann

I found your post when I was wondering the same thing and came across this:

BLUE

The Blue Giants as we know them today originated in 1981 near Bern Kansas, USA on the farm of Mrs. R. E. (Golda) Miller. Mrs. Miller had been raising Jersey Giants for more than 40 years and had been recognized for many years as the premier breeder of Black and White Jersey Giants.
It started with a White Giant pullet that had some gray dusting on the feathers on her back. This bird was a “sport” from the Miller White Jersey Giant flock. Mrs. Miller wasn’t too interested in experimenting but had a friend nearby in Nebraska who was. Leo Prokop had been trying with no success to develop a Blue Jersey Giant variety. He took this pullet and mated her to a Black Jersey Giant male. This first generation was a conglomeration of colors, some of which were splash. These females were again mated to a Black Jersey Giant male. Out of this nucleus, the Blue variety quickly became established.
No blue birds of other breeds had been introduced, therefore these were pure Giants.

So I'm understand it as:
Breed a Black Roo + White Hen = blacks, whites and splash
Breed a Black Roo + Splash Hen = 100% Blue

Hi, the bird in question from the Golda Miller breeding was a sport- which means it is a genetic surprise of sorts. Though that bird was from white parentage, there was something being hidden by the white genetics. Dominant white can mask a number of other traits. If you breed a standard Black Jersey Giant to a standard White Jersey Giant, you will not get splash or blue. Your second statement is correct- black x splash = blue. If there is interest in obtaining Splash Jersey Giants rather than taking the genetic chance in hoping to find a White Giant masking something that will eventually yield blue or splash, I highly recommend going to the Jersey Giant Club site and finding a breeder. If you're really interested in breeding Giants, join the club! The publications are good and my limited experience has been that other club members are very helpful and excellent ambassadors of the breed.
smile.png

I recently found out that this rooster that was sold to me as a blue marans is actually a blue jersy giant. not to familiar with the breed. Is the red sheen throughout his feathers normal in this breed. what is your opinion of this rooster? love to get in

put on him

Back
Top Bottom