1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Jersey Giant with a Bad Limp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilChickCoop, Jul 17, 2011.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I am not quite sure what happened.... maybe he jumped down from the roosting bar, I don't know. All I do know is that my 6 month old Blue Jersey Giant roo walks around like his right leg has "given out" on him- he has been walking with a bad limp for the last 3-4 days.....what do I do? He still gets around and eats and drinks, but he has me worried. Thoughts?

2. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    My "Red" a RIR started out just like that and that was at least 2 months ago. She is still limping and we still don't know exactly why. Good luck with your Roo.

3. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have been feeding them with showbird food... Could it be too much protein? I have seen no evidence of trauma or injury....

4. LilChickCoop

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Anyone? Watching him walk, it seems almost like his entire leg drops out of joint and cannot support his weight. What do I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by