Blue Kote for bald spot on head (result of bullying)?

stretchc1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Connecticut
Hi All,

My 1 year old black Australorp is at the bottom of the peck order (5 hens total; no roosters). Today, I noticed that she is missing a pea-sized patch of feathers on her head, not too far behind her eye. It's not bleeding, only bald.

Should I put blue kote or something else on there to discourage the other hens from pecking her in that spot? Up until now, I haven't noticed much squabbling or nastiness--mostly just chasing. But I'm worried that this will escalate.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I do not know much about blue kote (I've never had to use it on my birds), but be sure that whatever you decide to use does not alter the color of her head. If the feathers on her head have a noticeably different color the other birds will think she is a "new" bird and will likely treat her as such.

I only use the blu-kote on red spots. If she's just a bit bald she probably doesn't need the antiseptic or to have the red color covered to prevent further pecking. It might help to hang a cabbage or put a flock block in with your chooks so they have something else to peck at besides the low ranking hen.

Back
Top Bottom