Is this a concern? Irritated bald spot and possibly broody.

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
Hey everyone!

I have a hen that just turned a year old in April. She is a Welsummer, and on the top of the pecking order.

About a week ago, I noticed a bald spot between her legs and breastbone. I didn’t think much about it at first, but it seems much more red and irritated this morning, and I think there is some sort of scab?

Right After I noticed the bald spot (when I wasn’t concerned about it), she spent a half a day in the nest box. This is really unlike her, she is usually very quick laying an egg. The next day she spent even longer, and yesterday she spent almost all day in the nest box. She is at it again today. Is she broody? I’m not sure if this has any correlation to the bald spot, but wanted to mention it just in case.

Otherwise she seems fine. When she is out of the nest box, she eats, drinks, and acts normal. Stools seem normal also.

Could it be feather plucking from stress or something? About a month and a half ago we moved them into a much larger run (about 2000 square feet) with lots of trees, brush, and things to explore. We had some trouble with a bobcat a few weeks ago, and it took one of our chickens, but Poppy (hen in question) didn’t seem phased by any of it. The last week or so we have been integrating some younger chicks in.

Is any of this a concern? Is she broody, and does this have anything to do with the bald spot? I attached pictures of her. Thank you in advance!

920E43E0-0189-43F3-9441-6243ADB9E0A9.jpeg

E750F11C-5758-4B19-B1F3-68C5617A95CC.jpeg
9E364E5A-B039-47DB-8C67-7595EE475BEA.jpeg

The baldness is definitely broodiness along with the nesting box time. She doesn't sound fully broody yet, but within a few days she might be. As far as the scabbing, I've had that same scabbing on a hen going broody before. Someone wondered if she was rubbing on her perch. With my hen, she seemed fine and had a successful hatch, so I don't believe it's of any concern.

The baldness is definitely broodiness along with the nesting box time. She doesn't sound fully broody yet, but within a few days she might be. As far as the scabbing, I've had that same scabbing on a hen going broody before. Someone wondered if she was rubbing on her perch. With my hen, she seemed fine and had a successful hatch, so I don't believe it's of any concern.
Thank you so much!! This is definitely a comfort, I was getting a bit worried!

Sadly my cockerel isn’t old enough to be doing his job yet, so I don’t have any fertilized eggs for her. Do you have any preferred methods of breaking a broody?

Thank you so much!! This is definitely a comfort, I was getting a bit worried!

Sadly my cockerel isn’t old enough to be doing his job yet, so I don’t have any fertilized eggs for her. Do you have any preferred methods of breaking a broody?
You're welcome!

For my Broodies (I currently don't have a rooster at all), I use broody jail. I put two cages on top of each other (in the flock's coop if there's space) with the top cage not having a tray. I put hooks on the bottom of the top to keep the top from falling off and a heavy log in the bottom to better balance the cages. I put a log in the top cage for the broody to perch on so she's not constantly on the wires. I put a feeder and waterer in the corners opposite from where she'll probably be pacing the most. I leave the broody in there for a few days, usually about 24 hours after she stopped making broody clucks. If you catch her right now, she'll stop pretty fast. (24-48 hours in jail probably would be fine.)

You're welcome!

For my Broodies (I currently don't have a rooster at all), I use broody jail. I put two cages on top of each other (in the flock's coop if there's space) with the top cage not having a tray. I put hooks on the bottom of the top to keep the top from falling off and a heavy log in the bottom to better balance the cages. I put a log in the top cage for the broody to perch on so she's not constantly on the wires. I put a feeder and waterer in the corners opposite from where she'll probably be pacing the most. I leave the broody in there for a few days, usually about 24 hours after she stopped making broody clucks. If you catch her right now, she'll stop pretty fast. (24-48 hours in jail probably would be fine.)
Here's a post of hen in my broody jail last year to give you a visual idea. :
Someone is back in broody jail:
View attachment 3323950
Just look at that guilty face:
View attachment 3323952

Valerie, my only Olive Egger who actually lays olive colored eggs, is a naughty bird. She is seven months old and this is her second time of going broody. I didn't want to put her in broody jail, but with the weather getting quickly colder, I don't really have any other options on breaking her brood. Hopefully this is her last time of going broody at least until Spring.

Also, hopefully she'll be better than she was last time she went to jail... Last time, when she got out, she plucked the most impressive beard in the flock- Turbulence's. And Turbulence hasn't been able to grow her beautiful beard back, sadly. :hit

Just wanted to second the response of typical broody plucking and not stress-plucking.

I usually will spray Vetericyn on such a sore, but once you break the broodiness that should heal up and cover back with feathers just fine!

Back
Top Bottom