Blue laced red or gold Wyandotte

Thank you, I know that sometimes with Blue Laced Reds you get a white and red due to the diluted gene. I’m supposing this is true also for the blue laced gold?
I assume you mean splash? If so, yes, BBS genes work the same across the board. If you cross a blue with a blue you'll get a percentage of black, blue, and splash birds. That's why there's splash laced red and black laced gold.

The blue gene in Blue varieties dilutes black. A black bird has no copies of blue, a blue color has one copy and splash has two. Using a Punnett square you can predict the percentage of offspring with a given color from any mating.

Blue Laced Gold here in the States was the result of attempting to puppy mill the newly reintroduced BLR variety. They were using gold laced Wyandotte hens under a BLR cock to generate a lot of offspring to cash in on the fad of a new variety. Those offspring only carried one copy of the dominant Mahogany gene and soon there were many flocks that lost the Mahogany gene all together. Blue Laced Red is more desired resulting in a higher price tag if the lacing is good.

Reading the post about Wyandotte colors. I have 2 that have more red/gold with blue/gray and 2 that have more of the blue/gray with one of those showing more black at base in neck and throughout. What would you say these are?
I would say they are Blue-laced Gold. None of them have the rich, bay-red that results from the mahogany gene.

I have a blue laced and a gold laced wyandotte. I got them as females from Cackle hatchery. They also sent a RED black laced, I had not seen that before. It was a rooster though. If I was to get any wyandotte in the future, I would get red because I had not seen that before. The black and the RED together was stunning.

77B83A19-F329-409B-A1D8-DCB42909E2E7.jpeg
EA20CC6A-AEB2-48A7-A925-EA3ADBDE9B01.jpeg

Attachments

• 01940EC1-3B02-4A59-8872-4CEC6BFA6327.jpeg
    01940EC1-3B02-4A59-8872-4CEC6BFA6327.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom