1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Laced Red Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by ag29ande, Mar 26, 2016.

1. ag29ande

ag29ande Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Delanson, ny
    A. Is anyone working on creating these?
    B. Without crossing to a BLRW, what would be the best way to create this project color?

My thoughts...

Cross a Gold Laced Cockerel to a Red Hen --> per the chicken genetics calculator the F1 (A) cross will be Black patterned red

You would also need to

Cross a GL cockerel over a blue hen --> the F1 cross from this will get you Blue laced (B) and black

Cross a F1A ( Black patterned Red) from the first cross with a F1B (Blue laced) --> F2 cross will be a huge variety of genotypes and fenotypes... in the mix should be a BLR or an incomplete BLR. This would result in hatching out hundreds of chicks...as the BLR looks like it would be around a 1% hatch rate

Breed the best BLR F2 birds together for F3 and so on and so on....

Do you think this would work? Or better ideas?

2. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    I would cross a Blue Laced Gold over a Red, breed the offspring from that cross together, and then select the F2 chicks for color and lacing quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by