Blue laced red Wyandotte - hatchery stock? (Ideal poultry)

Oaks chickens

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2016
Conroe, Texas
Hi there, Can anyone here provide input on ideal poultry stock BLRW bantams? Suggestions where to find reasonably priced birds for back yard flock? I would like to add these and possibly salmon faverolle as well but was curious how Ideals birds compare to rest?! Any pics, tips, etc, thank you!!

Hi there, Can anyone here provide input on ideal poultry stock BLRW bantams? Suggestions where to find reasonably priced birds for back yard flock? I would like to add these and possibly salmon faverolle as well but was curious how Ideals birds compare to rest?! Any pics, tips, etc, thank you!!

I personally would not order them. Out of five salmon faverolle pullets only one is decent and the others are dark and splotchy. I can only imagine how terrible their blue laced red wyandottes would be.

Thanks for the feedback!! That's disappointing. I know it's difficult to get nice ones from hatcheries on these 2 breeds but my other birds from Ideal turned out nicely.. was hoping these would be decent too, so sad :( any pics of yours? either way, thank u!!

I have some very nice looking bantams (not show quality of course) from them. But given my experience with the faverolle it makes me hesitant to recommend getting from them anything that is a high dollar bird where looks really matter.

One thing I like about Cackle is they use actual photos of their birds to advertise them and have youtube videos of their breeder flocks. Of course, that doesn't help in this situation since they don't have that variety of Wyandottes.

I'll get an updated pic of my faverolle when I get home.

Yes, I noticed that about cackle but wasn't sure on their the faverolles either. I would love to add this breed to my flock but without a breeder close by or my own incubator -it's just a throw of the dice on some of the hatchery stock for now. Seems like you either get a decent looking one or "oh my, what is that thing"
1f633.png
! And yes, look forward to seeing your birds!

You might try Meyer Hatchery. I got my birds from there last fall, though no Wyandottes, and I love mine. My Orpingtons are little bit scrawny but besides that I think they're great. I have a Barred Rock (gorgeous imo), 2 Black Australorps, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Easter Eggers.

The only thing is the reviews are mixed for the BLRW - some love them, while one person got splash ones. So I guess it depends but might be worth a shot

Thanks for the suggestion! And yes, I've got an order coming in from Meyer in 3 weeks! My chicken math got the best of me but so far I have the following coming in: Black copper & splash marans, silver pencilled rock, barnevelder, speckled Sussex, & EE's. I think I may add Faverolle too see if quality is better than Ideals.. we shall see!!

No problem! Oh boy, chicken math, huh? I'm experiencing a bit of myself atm - want to add more chickens but also want to add ducks lol

Let me know how you like the silver penciled rock and the speckled Sussex. I wanted to add those, as well as a partridge rock and some Wyandottes, but I haven't yet. I love my Barred Rock so I'd be curious if the personality os the same.

You will love the EEs! Mine are beautiful and lay nice green and blue eggs. Ones even been laying well this time of year. One of them is bottom of the pecking order though and is getting bullied somewhat - she's the blue layer and has stopped laying. However, the other appears to be somewhat low to mid pecking order and holds her own. She was also my first chicken to lay at 22 weeks old.

You should definitely add a Faverolle!

No problem! Oh boy, chicken math, huh? I'm experiencing a bit of myself atm - want to add more chickens but also want to add ducks lol

Let me know how you like the silver penciled rock and the speckled Sussex. I wanted to add those, as well as a partridge rock and some Wyandottes, but I haven't yet. I love my Barred Rock so I'd be curious if the personality os the same.

You will love the EEs! Mine are beautiful and lay nice green and blue eggs. Ones even been laying well this time of year. One of them is bottom of the pecking order though and is getting bullied somewhat - she's the blue layer and has stopped laying. However, the other appears to be somewhat low to mid pecking order and holds her own. She was also my first chicken to lay at 22 weeks old.

You should definitely add a Faverolle!

KDDOGG - you have an incubator, right? I can possibly send you some duck eggs before long for just shipping... I can't remember the breed but they are like stubby legged mallards. I think they might do okay going from Maryland to Mass.

ETA I just found them. They are called Rouen ducks.

Back
Top Bottom