AJ916

Songster
8 Years
Jul 4, 2015
I ordered a bantam assortment of all feather legged from Ideal Poultry awhile back. I also added four EE bantams to the order so therefore technically the ONLY clean legged birds I should’ve received aside from extras would be the EEs. I received all my feather legged birds and three confirmed EEs but I also received what I believed was my fourth EE but after investigation I was convinced it was a Golden Sebright. I didn’t order any of those and it meant I was missing an EE as they didn’t say anything about having to substitute. But the chick matched what a Golden Sebright chick would look like aside from the fact that it had very little if any white on it. Now that it’s growing and feathering I’m even more confused. The chick is feathering out more like a Millie? I know chickens molt and gain or change color as they grow but the chick has very off patterned lacing and some spots even look like cheetah spots? Some feathers are all pure golden while others are half laced black or spotted. Is this just a low quality Sebright and she or he will gain better lacing as they molt and grow? Or is this possibly my fourth EE and it’s just a Sebright mixed EE? I got the birds from Ideal and I know it’s almost impossible to identify what a hatchery mixes to make their EEs but I’m super confused. Pics below of it as a chick and now and some pics of its feathering

6B7B6751-89A6-46B8-8794-AD8D9877BEF9.jpeg

3F48A120-999F-4C58-8165-2FB23796CFC0.jpeg

C278937F-3AF7-443E-83D1-87BCE018A0BF.jpeg

Attachments

• A1E0FFE5-C541-4186-8792-43A2538084A0.jpeg
    A1E0FFE5-C541-4186-8792-43A2538084A0.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 6
Looks like a Golden Laced Sebright to me, her color pattern will probably get better as she gets older.
That’s what I was thinking, either it snuck in or they substituted an EE with the Sebright! But the feathers had Me confused because I’ve never owned a Sebright and all the pictures I look up or find the chicks feather in with even nice lacing. And this guy has some funky stuff going on 🤣

so
It looks like a Quail d'Anvers to me
oh my goodness I don’t even know if Ideal offers them but if they do I’m very curious to find out! Do you have any pics of any? Every one I find on google is an adult fully feathered

I went looking for threads with Quail d’Anvers chick photos for you, and found this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/amers-d’anvers.1421505/page-27#post-25809318

This specific post mentions how to tell at 3-4 weeks if your d’Anvers is male or female based on shoulder color.

Following the poster’s logic, your chick seems like it might be male, assuming it indeed is a Quail d’Anvers.

Either way, your little one is adorable, and I’d love to see pictures as it grows up :)

I went looking for threads with Quail d’Anvers chick photos for you, and found this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/amers-d’anvers.1421505/page-27#post-25809318

This specific post mentions how to tell at 3-4 weeks if your d’Anvers is male or female based on shoulder color.

Following the poster’s logic, your chick seems like it might be male, assuming it indeed is a Quail d’Anvers.

Either way, your little one is adorable, and I’d love to see pictures as it grows up :)
Thank you SO much! The more information I can get ahold of the better to figure this out! I’ll definitely be posting pictures as it continues to feather to update everyone! The only thing puzzling me now is I’ve seen several posts saying people bought d’Anvers from Ideal Poultry but when I go to look now they don’t list any. So I wonder if this chick was somehow a last bit of their d’Anvers or maybe I’d they’re not selling any but breeding them right now? It’s all so confusing but I’m very excited at the idea that it may be a d’Anver.

Thank you SO much! The more information I can get ahold of the better to figure this out! I’ll definitely be posting pictures as it continues to feather to update everyone! The only thing puzzling me now is I’ve seen several posts saying people bought d’Anvers from Ideal Poultry but when I go to look now they don’t list any. So I wonder if this chick was somehow a last bit of their d’Anvers or maybe I’d they’re not selling any but breeding them right now? It’s all so confusing but I’m very excited at the idea that it may be a d’Anver.
You’re welcome! I’d never seen d’Anvers before and they are adorable :love

I had a good time reading through that thread, so I’m very glad to have helped!

24D7D026-CD9A-4827-8699-8C155AD92DC0.jpeg

76243FC3-75F4-4D4F-9DF9-49BE4F8FA37C.jpeg

2F8CF880-A8D1-47B0-BB13-19FAA34CE02D.jpeg

The more it feathers the more confused I am. I see a mix of what appears to be some millie pattern, some cheetah spots, and full blown gold/orange feathers or black feathers with gold lacing?
I was thinking the more it feathered the more sea right or d’Anver it would be. But it’s lacking the muffs of a d’Anver but the pattern or feathering of a Seabright. It has a rose comb, but I’m really wondering if I got some kind of funky Seabright 😂 or a mystery chick? I just LOVE getting birds like this. Not at all what you want or expected but so sweet and fun to investigate! This little one is my favorite out of my youngest batch so far.

Back
Top Bottom