Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Hm..."she" is the bigger one. I don't actually think her wattles are that much redder if at all. It was somewhat dark out and there was a flash distorting the colors.

I will keep watchng and waiting. I hate not knowing since they are becoming more and more part of the family! The hatchery said that these wyandottes are the ones most often mistaken for a rooster. He even told me that one lady was SURE she had a rooster until she flipped it over to do a check and it laid an egg into her hands. I should have just gone with all sex linked and skipped this whole worrisome mess. :p

ETA: because that made me super paranoid, I went out with a high powered flashlight and examined their faces up close. They both have pretty light pink/yellow wattles. If those should be getting red by now then maybe I can relax a little.

Is it unusual for them to be so different in size? Could they both be female but have a significant size difference? My little one is the same size as my sex linked.

Last edited:
I was just going by the picture...wattles look redder and bigger in the photos. But you're looking at the real deal...
big_smile.png

Good luck.

Oh I know it, I don't fault you at all! I'm standing right in front of these suckers and I can't tell for sure :) I appreciate the insight. I'm trying to relax it was just that friend getting a rooster made me think "oh nooooooz!" I love my girls, I don't want to trade them in :(

Oh I know it, I don't fault you at all! I'm standing right in front of these suckers and I can't tell for sure :) I appreciate the insight. I'm trying to relax it was just that friend getting a rooster made me think "oh nooooooz!" I love my girls, I don't want to trade them in :(

I don't see an obvious roo in the pics. The wing colors are pullet looking and roos should have redder combs and wattles by now. Patience..... Patience.

ETA: because that made me super paranoid, I went out with a high powered flashlight and examined their faces up close. They both have pretty light pink/yellow wattles. If those should be getting red by now then maybe I can relax a little.

Is it unusual for them to be so different in size? Could they both be female but have a significant size difference? My little one is the same size as my sex linked.
I kinda think they both look like pullets. I stared at them for a long time trying to see Roo qualities (sometimes it's in a look they give you! /notcrazy) but iunno, I rather think you have 2 girls. BUT I'm not an expert by any means. I look at Fancychooklady's Roo's comb and wattle -- so obvious, and a week younger than yours. I think you are safe :)

I have chicks (4 weeks) and I think that they have slightly different sounding chirps. The 2 chicks I know are males actually have a different voice than the females. It's not crowing, just a different pitch. I'm not sure if this will change later, but it's something I've noticed anyway.

Last edited:
I have several blue laced red wyandottes and 3 have turn out to be roo's. We are having an issue with them killing the smaller hens. Are the roo's usually this aggressive?
as in bantams hens? are they trying to breed them? If they are huge roosters and are trying to breed tiny 2 lb hens it can get messy. Males will kill and over breed a hen, especially if you have three of them doing it to small numbers of hens. If they are sibling cockerels and pullets and you have equal numbers it should not be a problem unless they do not have enough room or lack of quality feed. Over crowding will make the strongest cull the weak. Natures way of letting them survive.

Hens are over a year old...pullets are under a year
Roosters are over a year old...cockerels are under a year

Back
Top Bottom