Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I get the different reds that range from orange-like to mahogany. It is the white lacing called blue that I am trying to understand. "Our Roost" explained that the roots of the feather show blue. The feather itself is white laced, but called blue, correct?

Quote:
Whos talking red and blue black birds! I posted a picture of a wyandotte.

It's the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte thread, I figured it was obvious I was talking about Wyandottes. My mistake.

Anyway, never mind. I will continue my search to see if a red laced blue wyandotte is genetically possible, and if anyone has ever produced any.

I get the different reds that range from orange-like to mahogany. It is the white lacing called blue that I am trying to understand. "Our Roost" explained that the roots of the feather show blue. The feather itself is white laced, but called blue, correct?

They are called Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, but they actually come in blue, black and splash (white), which is the color of the lacing around the edge of the feather. I think just that confuses people, I know people post here on BYC all the time about getting blue birds of various breeds then being surprised when they are black or white (splash) where they thought they would be blue.

The confusion, at least for me, is figuring out when a bird is a light blue vs a splash (white). For example this bird which I posted earlier in this thread, which the general opinion is that she's a splash.

0837313b_blrw_orange_pullet1.jpeg

dff792bb_blue_or_splash.jpeg

1e760839_BLRW_splash_pullet1.jpeg

So BLRW can be splash, and splash is synonymous with white? Or grayish, bluish white, anyway?

Yes. The bird in the photos is just going through her first molt but it's my understanding she will get lighter lacing as she matures also.

The bird in my avatar is also a splash, but with a much nicer white and darker red.

Last edited:

as I said before, splash will be more white with splotches of blue or black here and there, a blue can range from pale to dark blue but is even all the way thru the feather without darker splotches. (in the case of blrw that would apply only to the areas of the feather that HAVE blue...)

Back
Top Bottom