Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Hi, where are you located? I read "blue laced silver wyandotte" BANTAMS? Do you have any pictures of your stock?
Blue Laced Silver are only 2 generations away if your breed a SLW rooster with a BLR hen or better chances with a Splash hen. If that fancies you, go for it, I will be the first one to buy eggs from your F1

That is very interesting, thank you so much! You have given me a lot to think about and I would really like to have 3 hens worth of eggs to set, instead of just 1. I have multiple roosters of multiple breeds though, so I will have the BLRW in their own separate breeding pen. I'm not sure how I could track the blue x blue offspring, since all their eggs look the same.. maybe with trap nesting? I don't have trap nests right now, but could probably build them.

some of the lacing on the back towards the tail of my 2 splash hens starts to fade out, it isn't as bold as the chest lacing - I will look for a photo of their backs

edit:
here is one -

what do you think? this is the worse one, the other splash has slightly darker lacing on her back

As far as my experience goes, lacing is something you can improve after one generation.
It helps ofcourse if you can breed lots of chicks...
The lacing on the back can be better and you should try to get that lacing going until the tail feathers.
Also in the next generations, keep an eye for hens with lacing on the thighs. Those are the ones you want.
But again, you can feel confident with these hens.

To give you an idea about how "perfection" looks like concerning the lacing I would like to share a picture of a drawing from the Dutch Wyandotte club with you.

My only comment on this picture is that I would prefer to see both of them with a darker neck, same comment for the rooster his tail.

Trapnests probably work great but I never used it. Not enough at home...
You can make breeding pens and swap the rooster every day from pen to pen?

a man at work gave me some chicken eggs and I hatched them. Almost 4 months old rooster. He has a lot of blue feathers. What might this be?

Last edited:
As far as my experience goes, lacing is something you can improve after one generation.
It helps ofcourse if you can breed lots of chicks...
The lacing on the back can be better and you should try to get that lacing going until the tail feathers.
Also in the next generations, keep an eye for hens with lacing on the thighs. Those are the ones you want.
But again, you can feel confident with these hens.

To give you an idea about how "perfection" looks like concerning the lacing I would like to share a picture of a drawing from the Dutch Wyandotte club with you.

My only comment on this picture is that I would prefer to see both of them with a darker neck, same comment for the rooster his tail.

Trapnests probably work great but I never used it. Not enough at home...
You can make breeding pens and swap the rooster every day from pen to pen?
Thank you, this gives me something to watch for in future generations. I see that the splash hens don't have much leg lacing, the blue has a little, and the rooster has the most. with any luck we can bring it back in the future. I will be hatching literally all the eggs they lay starting in February 2015 when they are 1 year old, so I should have a relatively (for me) wide pool of chicks to select/cull from. Again I really appreciate all your help.

I live in Belgium.
Plenty of pictures on my website : http://wyandottekrielenbe.webs.com/zilver-blauwgezoomd

But here are some pictures that are not on my website :

As always, your birds make me incredibly jealous - they are just gorgeous
droolin.gif
I love the blue laced silver color combination, too

@Farmer Viola :
Always happy to help!
Hope to see lots of BLRW from your breeding flock in the future.

@chickwatcher1 :
When breeding black x blue there's this little chance that both colors show themselves on one subject.
Having a rooster with blue tailfeathers but a black chest is more common than the colormix underneath..
(pictures aren't mine)

If I bred a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Splash to a Gold Laced Wyandotte, would I get the typical x% black, x% blue, x% splash? I'm new to all this chicken breeding stuff...

Back
Top Bottom