Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I'm still waiting

These were taken shortly after arrival well before the snow. My roo is a big baby. Brought another roo on the property about a month or so ago and the Blrw stopped crowing. He just crowed yesterday for the first time in weeks. Easy to pick up and hold. Hes a Good boy. Can't say the same for the pullet though. My daughter is going to have her hands full at the show with her

Farmer Viola. She does look really good but the breeder had nothing really to say about her. He kept carrying on about the cockerel. I really don't know why. I know he's not selling his best so I always look at her trying to figure out where she is defeciant

I imagine that shipping is stressful on their bodies and might be the cause of a pause in laying?
do you guys supplement light since it's winter?

I supplement light on first year pullets to lay throughout winter... not on older girls though, they deserve a break and need to molt.

how old are these? I would expect them to start laying once the light gets back to 12-14hrs in spring :)

Unsure. Supposed to be 6-10 mo when I received them making them a min of 9 mo at the moment. Judging spurs on known age Roos I would say that 9mo is about right. Funny thing is that I got a flock of heritage Reds that are younger and laying like no ones business right now. The RIR roo is doing his job well. Over in the wyandotte pen I've yet to seen an egg or the roo even cover a hen. Some say Wyandottes can be very temperamental when it comes to breeding. I'm finding this to be true. Or it's because the girls aren't laying you might think. I put 4 Red sex link girls that are laying in the pen and still no interest from the roo. Temperamental

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom