Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pardon my birds' plumage, they're in the process of molting.

This is my roo, Alistair. Does he not have a freak-of-nature comb!

(just fyi, that gold hen in the background is his daughter, mother is a buff orp)

His sister, Pippa, who has never laid an egg
hu.gif

Last edited:
Pardon my birds' plumage, they're in the process of molting.

This is my roo, Alistair. Does he not have a freak-of-nature comb!

His sister, Pippa, who has never laid an egg
hu.gif

BEAUTIFUL!! They are darker than mine, closer to what I'm looking for. How old are they? My one year old was molting when I got her and I've gotten 1 egg from her back in August or September. I think she's just not happy in the temporary pen I have the pair in. I'm going to sell them and get the DARK colored type in the spring. My boy has a freaky comb too.

BEAUTIFUL!! They are darker than mine, closer to what I'm looking for. How old are they? My one year old was molting when I got her and I've gotten 1 egg from her back in August or September. I think she's just not happy in the temporary pen I have the pair in. I'm going to sell them and get the DARK colored type in the spring. My boy has a freaky comb too.

They are 15 months old! I'm assuming she is not laying because her line was bred for show, not production??? I ordered several day-old chicks from a Facebook friend in Indiana. All but 2 were boys and the other female (actual BLUE laced red, not SPLASH laced red like these 2) never really thrived then finally passed away when she was around a year old
hit.gif
Other than never laying an egg, the girl pictured never grabs up treats when I toss them to her. She'll let the other girls come over & grab it from under her...that makes me assume she is lowest in the pecking order but I never see her get bullied & she's always on the top perch of the roost right next to her brother (my only roo) so what the heck?! She's a mystery to me. I call her my "free-loader" but that isn't really true because my birds are more my pets than livestock earning its keep.

Last edited:
Missi I have no idea what our girls deal is. It's weird.

"Amethyst" "Garnet"

"Jasper" "Jewel"

ANYBODY ELSE ON HERE HAVE AN IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON WITH MINE & Missi's GIRLS AND THEM NOT LAYING AND NOT REALLY INTO TREATS?

I have a Blrw hen who acts the same way with yreats and is the head hen in her pen. Show bird who should be laying any day now for the last 2 months. My male is also very aloof as well. Big bird but lacks that rooster gusto if you know what I mean. I also have 2 SLW hens about 20 months I received from someone moving who have not laid either. From what I've been told by a good number of folks is that its a Wyandotte thing wait until spring.

Last edited:
I've also read that when chicks are determining sex they have both male and female reproductive organs. If something happens to one of them after sex has been determined the other organs will take over and you will get a hen who does not lay and might even start acting a little like a roo. I'm trying to forget I read that until March or so.

I'd like to hatch some of the Splash Laced Reds.
Can't do that with out eggs!
rant.gif

We want to sell pullets in the spring, not just babies, ya know?

I just went and collected eggs, 2 of my Gold Laced are in the nesting boxes.
hu.gif

I have a Blrw hen who acts the same way with yreats and is the head hen in her pen. Show bird who should be laying any day now for the last 2 months. My male is also very aloof as well. Big bird but lacks that rooster gusto if you know what I mean. I also have 2 SLW hens about 20 months I received from someone moving who have not laid either. From what I've been told by a good number of folks is that its a Wyandotte thing wait until spring.

Now that you mention it, my blrw roo is a TERRIBLE dancer for his girls. I thought it was just that he needed practice at first but he still just stinks at the roo dance! He is a huge bird but his dance is so clumsy & awkward looking. Looks like he's tripping all over his feet LOL Also, he doesn't make the tid-bitting sound for his girls.either but he does allow them to get all the treats before he indulges. He is a sweet heart though. I had a Faverolles roo who was wonderful to his girls & did everything a good protective should do...Good roo dance, tid-bitted all the time, announced any possible threat, etc. especially attacking me every chance he could get. He found a new home which was a pity because I have so many predator threats here but I was tired of getting kung fu kicked & torn up shins. He had surprising power for a feather footer!

Now that you mention it, my blrw roo is a TERRIBLE dancer for his girls. I thought it was just that he needed practice at first but he still just stinks at the roo dance! He is a huge bird but his dance is so clumsy & awkward looking. Looks like he's tripping all over his feet LOL Also, he doesn't make the tid-bitting sound for his girls.either but he does allow them to get all the treats before he indulges. He is a sweet heart though. I had a Faverolles roo who was wonderful to his girls & did everything a good protective should do...Good roo dance, tid-bitted all the time, announced any possible threat, etc. especially attacking me every chance he could get. He found a new home which was a pity because I have so many predator threats here but I was tired of getting kung fu kicked & torn up shins. He had surprising power for a feather footer!

We had a rooster here that was attacking our daughter. We were given the advice to keep a 5 gallon bucket of water out. When he went for her we caught him and hung him by the feet and gave him a good dunk. He has not gone for her since. And it had been to the point where he would sit and wait for her to go out.
I would be sure to only do the dunk when it is warm :)
just incase you ever have another mean one.

Back
Top Bottom