Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
Ok experts, I hatched my first 2 BLRW 3 weeks ago, and I'm suspicious that they're both roos. They're feathering at the same rate, and they already have comb and very slight wattle development, although I have heard that girls of this breed can develop early.
Here's the first one, with a single comb:

And here's #2. It's a little difficult to see because he has a black comb:

Better view of the comb:

So what do you think? I'm only looking to keep one roo.

May I ask where you bought these? Single combs should be culled from your flock, if you're wanting Wyandottes. You might find someone with Plymouth Rocks or Orps, that might want that one to do color experimentation.
That being said, they both have some red around the earlobe area, but I can't tell if that is just the picture. They sort of look "pullet-ish," but I'd give them another 2 weeks and you should have a much better idea.

I got these eggs from another member. Yeah, the first one had a single comb from the moment of hatch. I knew it wasn't good for breeding. But it does happen to be the absolute sweetest of all my chicks, so I may keep him/her with a different flock. Good to hear there's still a chance they may be pullets. I'll keep an eye on it.

The large single comb, wide rose comb and wattles at such a young age says to me they are both roosters
wink.png

The large single comb, wide rose comb and wattles at such a young age says to me they are both roosters
wink.png
I thought that too at first, but I have pullets that have dark, flat combs and some are fairly wide. You're probably right, but I hate to have someone get rid of chicks before they're sure.
idunno.gif

I thought that too at first, but I have pullets that have dark, flat combs and some are fairly wide. You're probably right, but I hate to have someone get rid of chicks before they're sure.
idunno.gif
You are right about waiting a couple of weeks to be sure. In my lines the pullets have thin combs and don't have wattles showing at such a young age, but other lines might.

May I ask where you bought these? Single combs should be culled from your flock, if you're wanting Wyandottes. You might find someone with Plymouth Rocks or Orps, that might want that one to do color experimentation.
That being said, they both have some red around the earlobe area, but I can't tell if that is just the picture. They sort of look "pullet-ish," but I'd give them another 2 weeks and you should have a much better idea.

Is red around the earlobe area a sign that it's male? I'd never heard that before. I think that's just the pic. Neither of them have any red or pink yet, although it looks like it in the picture. That single comb is still totally yellow. I'm not going to make any decisions yet, but I'm thinking more and more they're both roos. The 2nd one already acts fairly roo-ish. With BLRW do you find the males and females feather at different rates? These chicks both feathered pretty quickly, especially compared to the Ameraucana roo I hatched on the same day, which at 3 weeks, barely has any adult feathers.

I am looking for some examples of the PERFECT BLRW comb both for a hen and a roo. Can someone post pics please. I can only find drawings from the side but I would like to see what is desired. I know there is the spike, inverted spike, bumps, etc. But I would like a photo of the perfect specimen :)

Back
Top Bottom