Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Gape worms are usually visible in the mouth. They *Gape* the mouth open to breath for days before they perish. The worms invade the trachea and can wrap around the tongue. It is not a worm you can usually miss.
Picture off the web

That black thing is a gape worm

Last edited:
wasn't a worm my husband split her neck open to look.

I mean seriously she was fat and fluffy. No eye or nose issues. She ate at 8 AM but when I checked them at 6 she was stretching her neck out and gasping.

No impacted crop. Nothing in it actually.

Last edited:
My now 5 weekers. Any comments?

I've developed chicken crack! at least my chickies think so. its hot out, and i was trying to get them to drink more water since they were all panting, i raided my freezer and found frozen strawberries. i placed 3 in a plastic bowl and went out to give it to them. not interested, not even a sample. then i took some of their water and splashed some on the berries, instant success. they happily drank the cold Berry water, and then ate the berries. now today when i tried that again, i just about got run over when they saw the bowl, before they even knew what was in it.
they gulfed down everything before i could get a picture.
now i have thirst quenched happy chickens!

wasn't a worm my husband split her neck open to look.

I mean seriously she was fat and fluffy. No eye or nose issues. She ate at 8 AM but when I checked them at 6 she was stretching her neck out and gasping.

No impacted crop. Nothing in it actually.
Do you have a service that will perform a necropsy?
The University of California Davis (UC Davis) will perform a necropsy to residents free of charge complete with a lengthy explanation. They have offices throughout the state; it is possible to deliver the bird in person or send it Fed-Ex.
I suppose it is too late for Maisey, but if something is available in your state for future reference...

Back
Top Bottom