Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

More update photos-9 wks. This chick was very black for the first seven weeks so I'm very surprised its blue. Looks like a pullet to me. What do y'all think?
8B0EE4DC-E6E0-4A6D-A955-B315B62027C6-1839-000000BE94AB5F80.jpg

I don't typically like the use of splashes in a BLR breeding program, however I am really liking the deep dark red on this pullet. Her color keeps getting better and better with each molt too. She gets more and more mahogany each time and her lacing gets more defined. She was practically pure white as a chick. I am hoping this trend continues, I am really liking her potential. (She is 15 weeks)

Also, here is an update of my roo Oscar. I really love this boy. He has things I really like and some things I really don't, but he is the best I have from the ones I've raised. I am looking for pullets who contrast his faults.

Also, here is an update of my roo Oscar. I really love this boy. He has things I really like and some things I really don't, but he is the best I have from the ones I've raised. I am looking for pullets who contrast his faults.
that's all you can hope to do. it's the same with my roo. I don't like his comb and his back is a bit longer than desired. so I picked a shorter backed girl from Foley's birds and my splash girl I just love all the way around. LOL if I showed, i'd show her, but not being blue I don't think she'd qualify for anything... right now she's a mess tho, being 150% broody. both of them are actually. so no blrw eggs at the moment.
counting the days tho till I can start incubating my bantam blrw eggs. I've got a pair (with 'visiting' partridge cochin girl, just to give the other hen a break from the roo LOL). cochin egg is nearly white, 'dotte egg is nice and brown, so no worries there. but I only get 5 a week from smee's girl, so it might be slow going to get some decent chicks grown out. and their red (both of them) isn't as dark as i'd like, so it might be longer still to pick and choose the best of the best to keep... but i'll probably have chicks available in a few months (local only, sorry) but with 5 a week, unless someone wants a small order or mixes with something else available at the same time, I don't think i'll have many to sell.

no picture yet to show this, but I'll try to explain.
my rooster its about 10 weeks old, so far very typy, right color.... my concern is in the way his feathers lay on his chest. they almost part themselves in the middle, splits the breast in two parts. almost makes him look really muscular, or beefy. is that normal, or acceptable for breeding?
every picture attempt has failed today, better luck tomorrow.

I don't typically like the use of splashes in a BLR breeding program, however I am really liking the deep dark red on this pullet. Her color keeps getting better and better with each molt too. She gets more and more mahogany each time and her lacing gets more defined. She was practically pure white as a chick. I am hoping this trend continues, I am really liking her potential. (She is 15 weeks)

I love the contrast!

no picture yet to show this, but I'll try to explain.
my rooster its about 10 weeks old, so far very typy, right color.... my concern is in the way his feathers lay on his chest. they almost part themselves in the middle, splits the breast in two parts. almost makes him look really muscular, or beefy. is that normal, or acceptable for breeding?
every picture attempt has failed today, better luck tomorrow.
in an adult bird that's called split breast. not a desired trait. but in a bird under 5-6 months old i'd say give him time, he may fill in the gap. I've seen that a lot in immature birds that don't show it as adults.

it's a fairly common fault in cochins, I think. and other loosely feathered breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom