Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Quote: i'm treating all my birds twice yearly for internal and external parasites, using ivermectin. it's not 100% effective against gape worm, but so far I've found it works.

gapeworm is carried by earthworms, which are passed to the chickens when they eat the earthworms.

i'm treating all my birds twice yearly for internal and external parasites, using ivermectin. it's not 100% effective against gape worm, but so far I've found it works.

gapeworm is carried by earthworms, which are passed to the chickens when they eat the earthworms.
Thanks to you and delisha for the info. Need to do a preventative for sure.

i'm treating all my birds twice yearly for internal and external parasites, using ivermectin. it's not 100% effective against gape worm, but so far I've found it works.

so earthworms are bad for chickens? mine have eaten them, how common is it? should i worry ? should i treat them just in case? how long after eating worms would a problem arise?

I am looking for some BLRW's. I live in Michigan. If you are in the state or willing to ship chicks/eggs to the state please PM me! I love BLRWs and would like to get some this month.
smile.png

Quote: no, not bad, not all birds get gapeworm and not all earthworms carry it... but they can. if you watch your flock and see birds stretching their necks up long and 'yawning' frequently (multiple times an hour over the course of a day), then they probably have it. treated asap, it's easy to get rid of. google it for other options. the medications that are effective against it are commonly found as horse wormers. personally (not a professional recommendation) I treat chickens at about the 50 pound rate recommended for horses, because of their much higher metabolism. usually lf and bantam alike. some people will use one type first then another 1-2 weeks later, just to make sure all the parasites are caught. I wouldn't eat any birds that have been treated within 30 days, but I do eat the eggs (some don't). my reasoning is, it's such a small dose you're giving, factor in the metabolized portion, then whatever small fraction actually passes into the egg, that you probably absorb more thru your skin if you have a horse that likes to fight it. LOL I do. last time I had an issue with her, I gave her the wormer and then she sneezed. IN MY FACE... bleh. I probably ate more wormer than she did that time.

I am looking for some BLRW's. I live in Michigan. If you are in the state or willing to ship chicks/eggs to the state please PM me! I love BLRWs and would like to get some this month.
smile.png
good luck. i'll be selling/shipping eggs later this year, if they ever stop being broody, but right now IMO it's too hot to ship birds or chicks. or eggs for that matter. they'd be par-boiled by the time you got them. LOL

Honestly, I got my first chickens when my daughter was 5 years old..she is now 35. I have never ever wormed my birds. I eat my birds, so it is of utmost important I used nature preventative measure, and I take fecal samples to the vets office two times a year to make sure my methods are working.
In some areas it is going to be more common than others. How you house your birds, if they are confined, what you feed, and health of your birds all make a difference. No one way is correct for all birds. I always suggest to everyone to take fecal samples in to a vets office and have them float tested. Or invest in a used microscope and do your own. It would be a good investment and you can check for cocci too. You can purchased a student medical microscope for usually under $100. It will save tons of money in unnecessary treatments. Some worms do not shed with certain types of medications. Know the worm first.

I give my birds old fashion preventitive natural resources they can choose to eat or not.
For example...fresh garlic..I chop it fine once a week and offer it in a dish or stir it in there Fermented Feed.
I offer spinach, kale, pumpkin seeds, cucumber, and a variety of other things depending on time of year. Right now we have heavy rains. Logically earth worm activity is greater. Worms come from earth worms. So I offer more garlic and add it to feed. An ounce of prevention..etc
Delisha, got interested in gape worm and your cure. found this on Irish Fowl. You may have already seen it. Seems to be an old remedy.
Extract from an old poultry book (1889)
Anointing the heads of newly hatched chicks with mercurial ointment is a valuable remedy.The worms can be dislodged from the thoat by means ofa piece of soft wire bent double,or a feather.Dusting the birds with fine lime is also good,and we have seen it stated that garlic mixed with food will drive away the worms.

Back
Top Bottom