Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

O.k., I will not go into detail, but have a question. Is it possible for a BLRW to be solid gold and have frayed looking feathers on the back end. I know you will ask for a picture, but do not have one at the moment.

Those are both BLRW the top bird has black lacing in the front but I see blue lacing in the wings and tail. Both are blue laced red wyandottes. I would call them pet quality and you should get tasty eggs from the hen :) The bottom is most definitely a rooster. Good luck with them!! 

Thank you. The chest lacing is a very dark blue. I drove a couple of hours just to get them without seeing a picture. I just wanted them. I'll get more but I'll try to be a more educated buyer next time.

Let me preface this with these are pets only...no breeding planned. I'm pretty sure #1 is a "boy" because of wattles and comb are so developed at 7 weeks. Too bad, as he is the sweetest of the bunch. I'm hoping he never learns to crow!

But what about his hatchmate, #2? Same build, but just a hint of comb starting to develop. I'm hoping pullet on "her."

And, will their lacing improve as they get older like many Wyandottes do? Although I'm not breeding them, I am interested in learning more about the standard...

Okay ki4got and delish..you seem to be the experts. I have a few pics I'm going to share I want your opinions on whether they are show quality, these are some of last yrs and a couple of this yrs hatch and I want you to tell me what is wrong with them.. Here we go, and the good ones to your standards is what I will add into my sons 4-H project..

Black Roo

Blue Hen

Blue Roo

Blue Roo, yes he is upside down, he wouldn't cooperate.

Chick I hatched out this yr to add to the flock, I'm sure I am not liking the lacing on her back as much as the front, this is a different line I was adding in???

And then there is this hen, check out her lacing, I love it...so flashy, it is actually a dark blue, would this be considered dbl. lacing or just a flaw, either way she will stay in the egg eating pen.

I wish it would have been sunny but this is what we got today
wink.png

Last edited:
Rooster/picture #1: Hard to say-can't see his shape-he looks a bit thin in the chest and may be too gold-hard to tell from the pictures.
Blue Hen/Picute#2: She has a bunny tail-not a desirable trait.
Blue Rooster/Picture#3: Again too narrow and not enough mahoghany. Brassy hackles.
Splash hen: Pet quality
The reat are double laced and considered pet quality-not a trait you want in breeding stock.

They may do fine for 4-H showing-it'a a bit different from APA shows.
Okay ki4got and delish..you seem to be the experts. I have a few pics I'm going to share I want your opinions on whether they are show quality, these are some of last yrs and a couple of this yrs hatch and I want you to tell me what is wrong with them.. Here we go, and the good ones to your standards is what I will add into my sons 4-H project..

Black Roo

Blue Hen

Blue Roo

Blue Roo, yes he is upside down, he wouldn't cooperate.

Chick I hatched out this yr to add to the flock, I'm sure I am not liking the lacing on her back as much as the front, this is a different line I was adding in???

And then there is this hen, check out her lacing, I love it...so flashy, it is actually a dark blue, would this be considered dbl. lacing or just a flaw, either way she will stay in the egg eating pen.

I wish it would have been sunny but this is what we got today
wink.png

Yes they are not as fluffy yet, they are almost yr old, except for the babies. I need to take pics in the daylight, when it is sunny... the blue that is upside down he is the biggest I'd say 10lbs. from holding him upside down, he is heavy and full breasted.

I agree with the splash I was a little disappointed with the lacing from this breeder, but it's in the lines I reckon...

The hen just got her skirt off she had been plucked, so those are new feathers, I will have to keep an eye out when the rest of her feathers out and repost.

I guess I should have waited to post... But I do like the suggestions, I want the best flock we can have. I sell the ones that I don't consider the best lacing and keep only the best, or I put them in the pen just for egg eating.

I hope we get some great finished products out of the ones I hatched this yr.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom