Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I have a question for breeders about feathered shanks. I know it is a DQ when showing, but how many birds with feathered legs should be kept for breeding? all my blue males have feathered shanks, except for 1, so I guess he is the chosen one. the female blue I have is feathered shanks, so at the very least, the male can't have it too. one of my splash females also has feathered shanks I believe.

I have a black male with clean shanks who is looking very handsome. he also has 2 comb spikes instead of 1, and some green purple and blue shine in his feathers. is there a preference away from purple shine in black BLRW? I know it is rejected in black marans and black wyandottes but what about black blrw?

I am tempted to breed my black to my 2 splash females.. is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I also have the one blue male and one blue female. guess I need 2 breeding pens.
and the black female can go in with the blue male. hahaha my DH is going to kill me ;)

looking at comb leaders should be my last concern, right? I only have 1 cockerel with a single point comb. sadly he is feather shanked. I believe through breeding and selection I should be able to bring out single leader combs, but for now I plan to ignore it..

Hi everyone! Im hoping that you all can look at my pictures and tell me where I'm wrong. I got a black laced red roo from a gal on here to cover my blue splash hen in the belief that I would get 100% blue laced babies. So below are pictures of my hen, my rooster and the one chick that I got a couple weeks ago. I have hatched a couple more since then and have gotten various colors. So now, I'm confused as to whether I have my genetics all screwy somewhere?
idunno.gif

your chicks are blue. but your hen's not red... she's more like a splash laced gold...

I have a question for breeders about feathered shanks. I know it is a DQ when showing, but how many birds with feathered legs should be kept for breeding? all my blue males have feathered shanks, except for 1, so I guess he is the chosen one. the female blue I have is feathered shanks, so at the very least, the male can't have it too. one of my splash females also has feathered shanks I believe.

I have a black male with clean shanks who is looking very handsome. he also has 2 comb spikes instead of 1, and some green purple and blue shine in his feathers. is there a preference away from purple shine in black BLRW? I know it is rejected in black marans and black wyandottes but what about black blrw?

I am tempted to breed my black to my 2 splash females.. is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I also have the one blue male and one blue female. guess I need 2 breeding pens.
and the black female can go in with the blue male. hahaha my DH is going to kill me ;)

looking at comb leaders should be my last concern, right? I only have 1 cockerel with a single point comb. sadly he is feather shanked. I believe through breeding and selection I should be able to bring out single leader combs, but for now I plan to ignore it..

I would worry first and foremost about body type, and combs and feathered shanks last... yes it's a dq (learned the hard way when it was pointed out my bantam blrw boy had feather stubs between his toes!) but clean legs on a poorly typed bird will get laughed out of the show hall just as fast, if not faster.

I dont know the difference between gold laced and black laced. The girl who shipped him to me knew I was covering a blue splash and sent me this guy to make blue laced. How can I tell the difference?

I don't have Gold Laced.... he is Black from my Foley BLRW line.... no doubt. I too see blue on your chicks. Blue comes in ALL shades from very dark to very light.

I'd like to eventually create a black laced blue wyandotte. I've been doing a little research on genetics and this is what I found...

Add one Bl gene (Blbl) to a black Wyandotte and you get a blue Wyandotte. Add two (BlBl) and you get a splash Wyandotte. Blues don't breed true -- blue x blue will throw some blacks and some splashes in addition to the desired blue.

BUT while black E_blbl hides the Pg lacing, the same is NOT true for blues.

Blue must be E_Blblpg+pg+

The genotype E_BlblPg_ gives a black laced blue.
Interestingly, the E allele does seem to override the ml+ml+ genotype as E_BlblPg_ml+ml+ does NOT give a blue Columbian (it gives a black laced blue)

So is this saying mixing a Columbian and a blue results in black laced blue or am I misunderstanding that?

I would worry first and foremost about body type, and combs and feathered shanks last... yes it's a dq (learned the hard way when it was pointed out my bantam blrw boy had feather stubs between his toes!) but clean legs on a poorly typed bird will get laughed out of the show hall just as fast, if not faster.

okay, thanks very much!
bow.gif

I'd like to eventually create a black laced blue wyandotte. I've been doing a little research on genetics and this is what I found...

Add one Bl gene (Blbl) to a black Wyandotte and you get a blue Wyandotte. Add two (BlBl) and you get a splash Wyandotte. Blues don't breed true -- blue x blue will throw some blacks and some splashes in addition to the desired blue.

BUT while black E_blbl hides the Pg lacing, the same is NOT true for blues.

Blue must be E_Blblpg+pg+

The genotype E_BlblPg_ gives a black laced blue.
Interestingly, the E allele does seem to override the ml+ml+ genotype as E_BlblPg_ml+ml+ does NOT give a blue Columbian (it gives a black laced blue)

So is this saying mixing a Columbian and a blue results in black laced blue or am I misunderstanding that?

well, technically, the "black laced blue" you're referring to, is ... not right...

E is extended black. the only thing it doesn't override is mottling and barring. whether pattern is present or not, blues will demonstrate the dark lacing inherent to the variety. that's just part of 'being blue. here's my blue split mottled girl. she's a much lighter blue than ideal, but still shows the nice dark edging (I won't call it lacing, because it's just part of what makes a good blue) tho carrying the melanizing gene does help enhance it.

you can see it in both the blue mottled and the blue below her... as well as in the blue pullet.

it can also be seen in my blrw bantam roo, edging the blue on his lacing, so he's got 'dark edged' blue laced red

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Im hoping that you all can look at my pictures and tell me where I'm wrong. I got a black laced red roo from a gal on here to cover my blue splash hen in the belief that I would get 100% blue laced babies. So below are pictures of my hen, my rooster and the one chick that I got a couple weeks ago. I have hatched a couple more since then and have gotten various colors. So now, I'm confused as to whether I have my genetics all screwy somewhere?
idunno.gif

I would like to see your various colors of chicks..

I dont know the difference between gold laced and black laced. The girl who shipped him to me knew I was covering a blue splash and sent me this guy to make blue laced. How can I tell the difference?

I don't have Gold Laced.... he is Black from my Foley BLRW line.... no doubt.  I too see blue on your chicks.  Blue comes in ALL shades from very dark to very light.
thank you for answering my post. I'm very glad that you stopped by and saw my questions. Only you would have known the answer to the golden laced/ black laced question with your guy. As you can see he is doing really well. My mom loves him and can't wait to take him home. I would like to try and hatch a few more chicks from him before I move him to moms house.

So I take it that the blue doesn't show in the juvenile feathers? Just in the down and then adult feathers? The newly hatched chicks are also a dark color with blue down as well. I will post pics of them this afternoon. I thought I hatched more than two blrw chicks but everything els looks like my lavender amauracana chicks. :(

well, technically, the "black laced blue" you're referring to, is ... not right...

E is extended black. the only thing it doesn't override is mottling and barring. whether pattern is present or not, blues will demonstrate the dark lacing inherent to the variety. that's just part of 'being blue. here's my blue split mottled girl. she's a much lighter blue than ideal, but still shows the nice dark edging (I won't call it lacing, because it's just part of what makes a good blue) tho carrying the melanizing gene does help enhance it.

you can see it in both the blue mottled and the blue below her... as well as in the blue pullet.

it can also be seen in my blrw bantam roo, edging the blue on his lacing, so he's got 'dark edged' blue laced red

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I get started.
Your second pic is a gorgeous bird. I wouldn't mind having one like that.

Back
Top Bottom