Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Hi everyone! Im hoping that you all can look at my pictures and tell me where I'm wrong. I got a black laced red roo from a gal on here to cover my blue splash hen in the belief that I would get 100% blue laced babies. So below are pictures of my hen, my rooster and the one chick that I got a couple weeks ago. I have hatched a couple more since then and have gotten various colors. So now, I'm confused as to whether I have my genetics all screwy somewhere? :idunno
Maybe it is because I am on a phone. Bit the down in your chicks does look blue...

I dont know the difference between gold laced and black laced. The girl who shipped him to me knew I was covering a blue splash and sent me this guy to make blue laced. How can I tell the difference?

Hi everyone! Im hoping that you all can look at my pictures and tell me where I'm wrong. I got a black laced red roo from a gal on here to cover my blue splash hen in the belief that I would get 100% blue laced babies. So below are pictures of my hen, my rooster and the one chick that I got a couple weeks ago. I have hatched a couple more since then and have gotten various colors. So now, I'm confused as to whether I have my genetics all screwy somewhere? :idunno
That looks like a blue to me... and its based on 100 chicks, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have a few of the other colors occasionally. He is a handsome fella!!

the chick in your hand looks blue, the chick on the ground has blue and black but it could go either way!
and I think your rooster looks like a black BLRW, not a GLW..

I think the down is blue
but I have never bred this breed and I didnt see any blue on the big feathers so I am confused as to where the blue is. Does the down indicate the blue can be expected to come in as it grows?

each line is different. in 1 line I hatched, you could judge solely from the down color.

in another line, the down color was not indicative but the stripe on the back was (when they're chicks and don't have feathers yet). black stripe = black, red stripe = blue

Black - Blue - Black(laying) - Splash - Splash - Blue

Blue - Black - Splash

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! Im pretty excited about getting the blue laced chicks to hatch. I have had a hard time getting the eggs to hatch reliably and when this lil guy hatched out I was just tickled!
wee.gif
But then I thought he was black and red and not blue.
th.gif
I sure hope I get enough eggs to hatch to get some blue laced babies to make a flock out of. Including this guy, I have four hatched as of today.
big_smile.png

The hatchery I ordered chicks from sent me a couple splash babies (I didn't know what splash was at the time, and I had to look it up when someone told me I had splash; I just thought they were regular old BLRW). They're now 4 weeks old:

Baby pics:

I got two SLW with the order as well, and I have an 8 week old SLW out in the coop. Now I just hope they're all pullets...

The hatchery I ordered chicks from sent me a couple splash babies (I didn't know what splash was at the time, and I had to look it up when someone told me I had splash; I just thought they were regular old BLRW). They're now 4 weeks old:

Baby pics:

I got two SLW with the order as well, and I have an 8 week old SLW out in the coop. Now I just hope they're all pullets...

Thats what my hen looked like as a chick.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom