Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Wyandottes are tricky to sex at that age. Wait 2-3 more weeks to be sure before you sell any. I really think that 6-8 weeks is a better time to make that call. I think the splash in your photos is likely female. I could be wrong... But it's certainly not screaming rooster to me. I hope you have more females than you think.
smile.png
Thank you for the thoughts StarMeKritten. I will wait on the slash as that was the only one that lived.

No problem. I've found that looking at their combs (at that age) can be confusing.. Watch for little brightly colored wattles coming in in the next few weeks. Best indicator in wyandottes, IMO. The males will have bigger and faster wattle development.

well, I'm totally bummed out now… Ordered 8 FEMALE BLRWs and 1 DOA, 3 Roosters, and 3 black hens, 1 blue… Meyer Claimed to be 90% accurate on the sexing… WRONG! Might as well have just ordered straight run.

I can't believe my luck. Now i need to find homes for the roosters and didn't get to add the quantity I was looking for.
Meyer's chicks have a tendency for pinker combs than the show quality chicks. The first group I got from them all had pink combs I was afraid they had sent me all males, they were all female. My show quality chick's combs are almost black until they sexually mature. I would definately wait a while, when one crows it's almost always male
wink.png

Hello, I am in Northern Indiana and am looking for a Blue BLRW roo. I have two splash hens, bought 10 from Murray McMurray and got ALL splash and 7 roosters and 3 hens from their straight run. Butchered/sold all roos and sold the other splash hen.

Anyone in this area that has either a Blue Roo or cockrel or i would take chicks at this point that are for sure blues.

Doesnt have to be in my area but would prefer that due to shipping costs and travel costs.

If i cross a blue roo with my splash hens then i would get approx 50 blue and 50 splash right? I do love the splash coloring on my hens, I just would like some variety and not have all splash.

thanks for your time.

Perhaps we could help each other out a little....i have two mature hens laying and the means to begin breeding, i just dont have the roo, which some say is an important piece. CA is a long way from IN but could we work something out? What would it cost me to get a blue Roo out here?

Also, am i right about this:
If i cross a blue roo with my splash hens then i would get approx 50% blue and 50% splash right?

If this works as I hope it does, i can then send out some chicks whenever they get rolling...

Yes, blue to splash will get average 50/50 but I would breed a black in on occasion. Splash will wash out. Just starting out in shipping live this year. PM me later if you wish. I should start shipments in April.

Christine

Back
Top Bottom