Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Hello all you expert BLRW people out there, ive got some new chicks and want your thoughts on a couple things...the 1st one is the only 4 week old i got and I would like to know your thoughts on Gender and Color (Blue or Splash).
thanks
This 1st one, gender and Blue or Splash?

Looks blue to me

Quote: that is not right, you do have a small chance of blacks.

blue X blue mating = 25% Splash chicks, 25% Black chicks, and 50% Blue chicks
blue X splash mating = 50% Splash chicks, 50% Blue chicks

Continuing previous post on chicks:

Hello all you expert BLRW people out there, ive got some new chicks and want your thoughts on a couple things...the next few are all a week old tomorrow (tues) and I am wondering about Blue or Splash. A couple are obvious but I wont give away my thoughts, they are to young to sex yet but lets see what you all think? Also, pretty sure one of them isnt a BLRW but lets see if you can find the one that doesnt belong.
The guy I bought them from said the parents of all these chicks are blue rooster and blue or splash hens depending on which hen the eggs came from. So from that my understanding is that none of them should be blacks. I saw them and the Roo is an outstanding Blue Roo.

anyway, here we go, thanks for your input!

Do you have any pics of the 4 week old chick when it was the same age as the other 9? I am curious if it's Back Stripe was as black as these chicks are now.

In my chicks that are from Chickenhill's line, the stripe on the back indicates the color they will grow into.
BUT depending on the line, that might not be the best way to tell on ALL BLRW chicks. this can vary widely from line to line...

but this is what I think I see:
1 - Black
2 & 3 - Splash
4,5 - Black
6 - I see some blue in this one's fluff, it could be a blue?
7,8,9 - Splash

when they grow up, you can mate Black X Splash and you will get 100% all blue chicks out of that pairing. then you would continue on the following year with all blues

Last edited:
Do you have any pics of the 4 week old chick when it was the same age as the other 9? I am curious if it's Back Stripe was as black as these chicks are now.

_________No I dont, just got them all Friday...I agree, that would help...this chick looks all blue to me, hopefully Roo, I want a nice Blue Roo really bad to mate with my 2 splash hens...

In my chicks that are from Chickenhill's line, the stripe on the back indicates the color they will grow into.
BUT depending on the line, that might not be the best way to tell on ALL BLRW chicks. this can vary widely from line to line...

1 - Black
2 & 3 - Splash
4,5 - Black
7,8,9 - Splash

when they grow up, you can mate Black X Splash and you will get 100% all blue chicks out of that pairing. then you would continue on the following year with all blues

_____thanks for all the info Farmer Viola,

I got the chicks and want either a MALE Blue or Black to mate with my 2 splash hens (1 year old) in the fall/next spring for my own blue chicks. Hopefully from that mess of 10, i will get one of them, preferably two so I can pick the better bird. A couple nice hens as well. Cant keep them all so a nice trio to sell would also be super. A nice Blue Roo, that is really what I want.

I bought 12 last spring from a different place and got 10 splash roos and 2 splash hens....horrible luck OR the person I got them from just had Splash Roo and Hen that they mated, making all splash offspring I believe... that would be annoying....still, just 10 roos and 2 hens is terrible luck then mix in the splash element...man, not good

Time will tell, just looking for all your opinions. Fun to make predictions and see what happens.

thanks again

_________No I dont, just got them all Friday...I agree, that would help...this chick looks all blue to me, hopefully Roo, I want a nice Blue Roo really bad to mate with my 2 splash hens...

1 - Black
2 & 3 - Splash
4,5 - Black
7,8,9 - Splash

_____thanks for all the info Farmer Viola,

I got the chicks and want either a MALE Blue or Black to mate with my 2 splash hens (1 year old) in the fall/next spring for my own blue chicks. Hopefully from that mess of 10, i will get one of them, preferably two so I can pick the better bird. A couple nice hens as well. Cant keep them all so a nice trio to sell would also be super. A nice Blue Roo, that is really what I want.

I bought 12 last spring from a different place and got 10 splash roos and 2 splash hens....horrible luck OR the person I got them from just had Splash Roo and Hen that they mated, making all splash offspring I believe... that would be annoying....still, just 10 roos and 2 hens is terrible luck then mix in the splash element...man, not good

Time will tell, just looking for all your opinions. Fun to make predictions and see what happens.

thanks again

that sounds like a great plan :) the older chick you posted a pic of certainly could be a male, it is really too early to tell, but the comb has a little ridge on the side of it which usually females don't have - theirs are usually very flat to the head. but I would wait to see some redness before saying for sure!

please post more pics of them as they grow up, I will be curious to see what happens too

Yes, 2,3 ,7,8and 9 are splash. Here's the blue mating colour chart. It explains the possibilties. :)

I have bantam.... no side by side pictures though.. I don't have any standard Wyandottes

Do have a picture of them you can post if you don't mind or have you posted any of them on her ?, I am getting some bantam BLRW, but I wanted to see how big they actually get. Will they hold there own with my standard size Wyandottes or should I keep them with my Silkies ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom