Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Hi, I have two red laced wyandottes (among other chicks) and I was wondering if someone could help sex them. They're eight weeks and often spar each other (though all the chicks do that.) We're thinking two roosters since they have pretty red combs and wattles. But I'm also wondering about their colouring. They seem very black for a red laced blue and I've heard that you can end up with different varieties.

Chick one - Straight comb

Chick two - Rose comb

Both of them
Yeah, so what do you guys think?

Hi, I have two red laced wyandottes (among other chicks) and I was wondering if someone could help sex them. They're eight weeks and often spar each other (though all the chicks do that.) We're thinking two roosters since they have pretty red combs and wattles. But I'm also wondering about their colouring. They seem very black for a red laced blue and I've heard that you can end up with different varieties.

Chick one - Straight comb

Chick two - Rose comb

Both of them
Yeah, so what do you guys think?
Are you sure they are BLR? They look more like Barnevelders and have double lacing.

I feel compelled to offer some words of wisdom… I recently joined this sight and the forums related to BLRWs because I love them, bought them as sexed chicks, and because I had no experience with the breed or raising dat old baby chicks. I asked the same question I keep seeing on this feed as well as other feeds related to young BLRWs. Boy or Girl? I was lucky to have a ton of response to this very question when they were a week old, month old, 2 and 3 months old… Unfortunately and fortunately, most responses I received were wrong. DON'T TRUST PEOPLE (LOL)!!! They don't mean to misinform you, but they will trying to help. Only one person on here was consistently right. Resist the urge to ask until they are 4 months old or start waking you up in the morning once the boys start doing their thing.

I would have re-homed a few girls thinking they were boys if i listened to everyone i asked on this site.

Also, don't think your chicks are blue or black or lack the blue color until they are 5-6 months old. Some are late to the party. Some of ours didn't show the blue color until they were six months old.

Take what you want from this.

Have a great day.

3 of these 4 young lades would have been given away if I listened. I had 1 boy out of 8 sexed chicks. We started seeing the difference at 3-4 months.

Very sound advice! I have 13 of these that I am growing out from 2 different breeders and both have told me the same thing...wait until they either crow or lay an egg. It seems to be a difficult breed to predict boy/girl until then. Of course, like everyone else, I want to know now!!! :)

Last edited:
Yes, we ordered them from a breeder who said she had blue laced red wyandottes. She didn't have any photos though, so who knows. We also ordered a blue ameraucana who is quite dark, so maybe she just sells very black birds...?
The Ameraucana
The chicks looked like BLR chicks, though you are right, they do resemble barnevelders now. :/
One of them as a chick (the brown one of course)

Whatever they are, they are both very sweet and love to cuddle, I'm just curious as to what they are. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclark73

Are you sure they are BLR? They look more like Barnevelders and have double lacing.
(I'm not sure if my answer actually replied to you, so I'm going to try this, lol)

Yes, we ordered them from a breeder who said she had blue laced red wyandottes. She didn't have any photos though, so who knows. We also ordered a blue ameraucana who is quite dark, so maybe she just sells very black birds...?
The Ameraucana
The chicks looked like BLR chicks, though you are right, they do resemble barnevelders now. :/
One of them as a chick (the brown one of course)

Whatever they are, they are both very sweet and love to cuddle, I'm just curious as to what they are. :D

Back
Top Bottom