Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

My two "girls" are now almost 7 weeks old. I'm getting a little concerned about the darker one...she's much bigger, but feathering slower, and I saw her sparring with my 9 week old blue ameraucana cockerel yesterday. These two are so sweet, though!!! I've never had chickens that would jump straight into my lap or beg me to pet them all the time. I come up to the coop and they come running, then hop up on my feet and try to get some lovins, lol. I love them!! They're my favorites by far out of all my chickies. So, whatever my Piper ends up being, she's staying, cuz she's awesome! I'm wondering if maybe you guys can tell what she is, though. I'm not even sure what a cockerel would look like at this age. Here's some pics, let me know what you guys think!

Piper, the one in question:

Phoebe, her sister:

Both:

Sorry if the pics aren't very good. If I get too close, they automatically get as far under me as possible (cuz I'm their mama hen
1f60d.png
) but I did the best I could. These were taken today, just FYI. Also, is it normal for a splash to have as much white as my sweet Phoebe? I'm just trying to make sure she's gonna have some of that awesome mahogany red like her "sister" has. Thanks for looking!!

Last edited:
My two "girls" are now almost 7 weeks old. I'm getting a little concerned about the darker one...she's much bigger, but feathering slower, and I saw her sparring with my 9 week old blue ameraucana cockerel yesterday. These two are so sweet, though!!! I've never had chickens that would jump straight into my lap or beg me to pet them all the time. I come up to the coop and they come running, then hop up on my feet and try to get some lovins, lol. I love them!! They're my favorites by far out of all my chickies. So, whatever my Piper ends up being, she's staying, cuz she's awesome! I'm wondering if maybe you guys can tell what she is, though. I'm not even sure what a cockerel would look like at this age. Here's some pics, let me know what you guys think!

Piper, the one in question:

Phoebe, her sister:

Both:

Sorry if the pics aren't very good. If I get too close, they automatically get as far under me as possible (cuz I'm their mama hen
1f60d.png
) but I did the best I could. These were taken today, just FYI. Also, is it normal for a splash to have as much white as my sweet Phoebe? I'm just trying to make sure she's gonna have some of that awesome mahogany red like her "sister" has. Thanks for looking!!

Some people have lines where the cockerels feather out more slowly but my birds are a mix of lines and that doesn't mean anything with my birds. I don't see any red in that blue chick's comb so I don't see any indication that it's a cockerel. There isn't a lot of color on that splash chick but don't judge her too early. A lot of my birds seem to have lousy color and lacing but then they tur out fine. The mahogany won't ever be as dark on a splash as on a blue in my experience.

Some people have lines where the cockerels feather out more slowly but my birds are a mix of lines and that doesn't mean anything with my birds. I don't see any red in that blue chick's comb so I don't see any indication that it's a cockerel. There isn't a lot of color on that splash chick but don't judge her too early. A lot of my birds seem to have lousy color and lacing but then they tur out fine. The mahogany won't ever be as dark on a splash as on a blue in my experience.

Ok, thanks! I really appreciate it. I'm even more suspicious of the blue one now, though. This week his/her comb has suddenly gotten very pink, more so than my 12 week old blue wheaten girls, and the legs are much thicker than the splash's, AND I saw that chick sparring with my blue Am cockerel (who's also 12 weeks- the BLRWs are now 8 weeks) on several occasions. I don't know if each of these things separately would indicate it being a cockerel, but all of them together have me definitely leaning in that direction. I'll post some more pics tomorrow to show you the redder comb and stuff. I'm totally okay with it being a boy since I would love to breed this variety, I'm just having fun determining which it is. It's cool to sit here and speculate and try to pinpoint the certain behaviors and characteristics to see how early it's possible to tell them apart. It's agonizing at the same time, obviously, but still fun
big_smile.png
Or, maybe I'm just nuts, lol. Guess we'll find out! (About the chicken, that is, lol)
pop.gif

Hello ,i was wondering if anyone has any hatchery blrw stock ,if you do could you please post pictures ? I would really appreciate it .I plan to get about 8 pullets and 2 males from Meyer hatchery .does any one know the chances of actualy getting a blue blrw?
I don't want to end up with all black chicks :) ,another question do hatchery stock make ok breeding birds ?thanks for any help you can give .

This is one of my BLW, which I think is a splash. Wish she had more color but shes super sweet and comes right up to me, she got sick when she was about 3 months old and we kept her in the house so now she'll come wondering in if we leave the door open looking for food. Great breed but out of a straight run I got two Roos and two hens so had to give one of the roosters away as he was larger and beating up the smaller rooster and harassing the hens. Even chased one of the bantams on to the roof of our barn and causing on to cut her beak as it was metal so he definitely had to go. haven't had any egg production from them yet but I've heard their late layers so I'm not surprised as I think their only about 5 months old.Should be some rooster pics coming later this week if i can get them to stay still long enough... Does this breed go broody often? And is there anything you can do to increase the likeness of them going broody? Thanks!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom