Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
Hey guys, I was just reading on Feathersite and I saw a pic of a BLRW chick and another right next to it.It was labeled, cockerel on the left( a dark one) and pullet on the right? They aren't sexlinked right?

This 5 1/2 week old BLRW seems to have a lack of lacing compared to other chicks pictured in this thread. Does that mean anything at this age? Is the quality of lacing evident at this age, and can they way chicks feather out vary between chicks from different breeders' lines? Also wondering if the lack of lacing has anything to do with the sex of the chick. Do roos feather out differently than pullets?

I have an auction going through tomorrow night on the BST area for 14+ eggs from my BLRW pen. I have one well laced hen that has a sc but the others are all rc. I could not justify getting rid of a nice girl because of the sc so I kept her. I care more about temperament and beauty than what a comb looks like since I do not show. They lay well and are super birds. Real pets! My neighbors and friends love to come over and admire them and feed them from their hands. With over 400 birds here, it is nice to have ones that people love to visit!

She looks like she's got no butt!
ep.gif

Pretty.

Here is a few shots of my growing flock of BLRWs. I started off with 9, all splash from a local breeder. I kept the friendliest rooster, and a couple hens. I have since added 2 pullets, a dark blue and a black from another breeder. I also recently hatched 3, 2 blue and a black, from another breeder who should have good lines.

This is my Black Pullet. When she is side by side with my GLW, you can see how much darker her Red is over the Gold.

Here she is again.

This is one of the Blues that I hatched. About 6 1/2 weeks old.

Here is the second one. It is not as light as it appears in this picture, but it is lighter than the one above.

This is the Black one that I hatched out. 6 1/2 weeks. I hope all of these are hens, but a Black Roo would be nice too.

Here is a close up of the side of my very dark Blue Pullet. Same age as the black one up top.

My dark blue pullet being held for a still shot.

Dark blue pullet. Lighting is bad. Two of my splashes on either side, one coming and one going.

Here is my Rooster, ROCKY. He is still a little young and gets beat up by a Bantam Cochin when free ranging. He is very good with his hens and with my family. Even flirts with my wife. He goes to the roost early and waits for everyone to come home. That is a splash hen in the back from his same line, I hatched it as well.

Rocky from the back.

Rocky showing a profile.

I am hoping by summer to have all three colors laying and producing chicks.

I have an auction going through tomorrow night on the BST area for 14+ eggs from my BLRW pen. I have one well laced hen that has a sc but the others are all rc. I could not justify getting rid of a nice girl because of the sc so I kept her. I care more about temperament and beauty than what a comb looks like since I do not show. They lay well and are super birds. Real pets! My neighbors and friends love to come over and admire them and feed them from their hands. With over 400 birds here, it is nice to have ones that people love to visit!

Breathtaking birds,and friendly to boot! Very nice
thumbsup.gif

And...lol... I am so glad you said over 400...makes me feel better!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, I am down from the 700 that I had last summer. It like to have killed me to try and get everyone watered every day and keep the containers clean. I had to cut back or kill myself with the care of them all. Automatic feeders and waterers do not help much when you do not touch the birds. Mine get handled often to ensure parasite control and decent weight. Not to mention weeding out any with bad temperaments or breeding flaws as they mature.

Thank you for the compliment.

Yeah, it can get addictive! Have you seen my website? LOL
I am still working on my Wyandotte pages and need to separate out all my ducks into their own breed pages now but I have a fairly large website and if I had time it would be much larger and more informative. Just too little time for all I want to do. days are short and I am too old to move quickly anymore.

Back
Top Bottom