Blue laced Red Wyandotte variations?

Don't omit black in the breeding. There is a standard to the blue hue and then there is personal preference to a bit lighter or darker than the standard or just each persons interpretation of what the standard color is calling for. But basically your attempting to get the majority of blue colored birds to have near same hue/tone. This is done by compensatory mating. Breed a darker blue to splash or lighter blue and breed a lighter blue to black or darker blue. The closer you keep the color of two blue matings the better result of consistent offspring.

It doesn't matter with BLRW as the blue is outer lace and you can see the red laced in every color but with actual Blue varieties you want to always have a blue in the breeding to ensure you've the lacing present. Blue variety calls for every feather to be laced black. This standard can be lost if not kept an eye on. That's why those that breed Blue always use a blue so they can see it's well laced, carries the correct lacing genes.

Can you tell them variations apart when they are chicks?

I have 4 chicks that are just starting to get feathers. One is a splash and her new feathers are clearly laced with white, one is light-ish and her feathers are tipped with a light grey, and two have the darker blue lacing. When I got them as day old chicks they are clearly the same breed but if I lined them up they were like copies from a printer that was running out of toner. The darkest one has super clear lacing, the next darkest has pretty lacing but not the stark difference in #1, the third is the same but with the grey, and the fourth (splash) have stark markings just in white. I will try to post pictures later if I can get a good picture. They are super active right now.

You also want to keep an eye on the red. Many of the pictures of Splash LRW I've seen the red is very coppery. I have a Splash hen and her red is also more of a copper tone. I think she is beautiful but if I were to breed BLRWs I wouldn't use her. The red should be a deep mahogany red, like in picture 2 of the first post.

Some blue is better looking than others, but Blue-laced is blue-laced.

What you would want to avoid is selling black-laced as blue-laced. I would get a splash (B/B) rooster, and then it wouldn't matter what color your hens are. All of his chicks would carry at least one splash gene. They might be splash (B/B) or blue (B/b) but you could sell all of the offspring as Blue-laced.

EDT: It's usually called a BBS breeding pen (Blue/Black/Splash)
EDT2: Okay, badly stated. You can sell black-laced, so long as you advertise BBS and disclaim that your breeding pen carries all of the genetics--you are not responsible for what sperm hit what egg. A lot of people don't understand blue genetics and might be a bit upset to get a black-laced chicken out of it.
What does a black rooster look like ? I bought a few and one came out different and she claims it’s a black iced

Back
Top Bottom