"Blue" Orp...not Blue?

What does it say that Roo coloring is?
I'm not sure how reliable it is, but this is how it shows up on Google (which itself is hardly reliable)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210803-161417_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210803-161417_Chrome.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 4
It is definitely a blue but with a lot of gold leakage. This is common in many blue varieties that aren’t developed. It isn’t really an issue since even without the rust he wouldn’t be a show quality bird.
So you think Blue (with leakage) rather than Splash? It doesn't really matter when you get down to it, I just have files for each of my birds and I try to keep them as accurate as possible.

I tried to look at his offspring for genetic explanation (I accidentally crossed him with a Black Mottled hen), because Blue x Black = Blue, Black and Splash x Black = Blue. The problem there was that the mottled gene seems to be dominant over just about everything, but his chicks did come out 1 blue, 3 or 4 black, and 2 or 3 mottled. I just don't know if this is because Splash x Black, or because the Black hen's genetics overtook his 7:1

I tried to look at his offspring for genetic explanation (I accidentally crossed him with a Black Mottled hen), because Blue x Black = Blue, Black and Splash x Black = Blue. The problem there was that the mottled gene seems to be dominant over just about everything, but his chicks did come out 1 blue, 3 or 4 black, and 2 or 3 mottled. I just don't know if this is because Splash x Black, or because the Black hen's genetics overtook his 7:1
Blue is an incomplete dominant gene to be blue your bird must have 1 blue gene and splash is when they have 2, lets say this is the blue gene B and this is black b, your blue is Bb and the black is bb
Top row is the blue side is the black
B b
b Bb bb
b Bb bb

You can see from this cross you have a 50 percentage chance of either colour per chick

Splash crossed with black.
Splash BB, black bb
Splash top, black side

B B
b Bb Bb
b Bb Bb

With this cross you have 100% blue

The percentage of what colour you get is per chick, so if you have 50% chance of getting a colour and you have 6 chick the batch won’t be half one colour half the other, each chick will have 50% chance of being either colour

I am not sure what you mean with the mottled, mottled is a pattern which goes on to other colours, so you can have black mottled, blue mottled and splash mottled (I don’t know much about mottled)

Back
Top Bottom