Blue Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ClareScifi, Feb 4, 2013.

1. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Ouch! That is a high percentage of black! Luck of the draw. I'm hoping next time to find someone in our area with a splash over a blue so I am sure to get a blue or splash. This is just for our backyard flock for fun and eggs - no breeding. (Waiting for retirement when I move out to the country! [​IMG]) I started with 8 eggs that were shipped. Air spaces were a a mess so I feel lucky that I got the one to hatch.

2. fatcatx

Check the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. You may find your answer there.

3. wildboutchicken

wildboutchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Eastern NC
    The best way to make sure you get blue is to see if you can find someone with a black over splash or vice versa. Black and splash give you 100% blue. That's if you truly want just blue. I am hoping to get my breeding pen lined up when my black starts laying too. I don't know how far away you live but this fall if I can get some good hatch rates I could send you some eggs or meet you if you are close to NC. I have that blue roo over a black and splash hen. You would definitely get a variety. Just a thought.

4. fatcatx

I may do that. I would like one of each but I should probably hedge my bets next time so I am more likely to get a blue pullet out of the hatch.

5. alibra

alibra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Sacramento, CA

If you want mostly blue but with a few black and splash, you could breed blue to blue and get roughly 50% blue 25% splash & 25% black

6. celonecoop

celonecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Quakertown,PA
    [​IMG]
    Here's one of my Blue Orp Roosters I have 2 and also a Black Orp rooster and 2 Black Orp pullets I love my Orps much calmer then my 2 speckled Sussex pullets

7. gallito1982

gallito1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Thoughts, boys or girls?
    Chick no 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick no 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Theyre around 3 weeks,noticed the way bigger size in chick no 2, plus th combo starts to show up, also noticed the white feathers in chick no 2 splash?

8. fatcatx

This is just an educated guess as I am pretty new at this. I had a buff orp with the longer pointed wings like chick #2 and it turned out to be a boy (though sexed as a pullet). Also - early comb development. Behavior should give you some insight too. So I say #1 girl #2 boy.

Sorry - not much help with the coloring though I would suspect a splash too with the white feathers.

9. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I guess male, also?

10. gallito1982

gallito1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2013
    california
    Yeah def is a male combo and wattles had develop so fast i will post an updated picture si you guys can confirm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by