Blue Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ClareScifi, Feb 4, 2013.

1. wildboutchicken

wildboutchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Eastern NC
    My girls are are showing in a 4 H show next weekend. We are showing our BBS orpingtons. I hope they do well. These chickens aren't even 5 months old and are gorgeous. They are almost bigger than my barred rock hens that are 1 1/2 years old.

2. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

Assuming they are part of the pics you posted a few weeks ago? Can you post a pic that shows the size comparison between your mature BR? Would be interesting to see the size and conformation differences (and also see them in their latest glory![​IMG])

3. wildboutchicken

wildboutchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    Eastern NC
    No problem. I'll try to get those pics up soon. They are big and beautiful. I hope my girls do well at the show. These BBS orpingtons are from the Greenfire Farms line. Great quality.

4. fatcatx

Is this a blue orp? We thought we had blue because the chick fluff was such a silvery charcoal color, but now the wing and shoulder feathers are coming in very black. (The pix don't show the color very well but new feathers are glossy black.) Black orp? Does this mean it is a blue roo perhaps?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. fatcatx

How did the show go? Any good pix to share?

6. suzie1

suzie1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    California
    I am wondering the same thing. Some of the chicks I hatched out to sell were doing the same thing. The wing feathers start coming in almost black, so does that mean those will be the 25% black?

7. fatcatx

If you crossed blue x blue then 25% is what should be expected. Other crosses result in no black. Was yours a blue x blue cross?

Technically weren't suppose to get any black with our cross but now I'm wondering if the person who sent my eggs was less than honest about the parents. Or maybe mine is just a very dark blue roo. The roos can be pretty dark across the back but I don't know if this dark shading normally extends through the wings. Anyone with a blue roo that can answer this?

8. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    I have eight blue Orps...lost all but one hen but have two more on the way at the end of the month. Love all the pics :)

9. fatcatx

Curious how well they lay for you? Wondering if there is any production difference between blue/blacks and the buff.

10. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    My lone hen is not yet old enough to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by