Blue Orpington

There are several more pictures on my Facebook Page: ABQ Orpingtons

Oh wow LOVE your cover picture! They are beautiful. And that picture really shows the difference in the colors well. I liked your page by the way. My in laws live out in Capitan, and are talking about getting some chickens soon. I may have to send them your way when they decide for sure.

Oh wow LOVE your cover picture! They are beautiful. And that picture really shows the difference in the colors well. I liked your page by the way. My in laws live out in Capitan, and are talking about getting some chickens soon. I may have to send them your way when they decide for sure.

Thanks, I just launched that page as most of my business (up to now) has mostly been through word of mouth referral, Craigslist and on Rare Breeds. Thought I'd use this off season to do some Networking and hopefully generate some interest.

I have found the Orpington to be a fantastic breed in many pleasing ways. They are a very mild mannered docile breed and can adapt to almost any conditions they are faced with. They are considered dual purpose and can definitely provide a nice egg count along with a decent table fare carcass for eating. The most recent addition of the Blue Orpington strain has me puzzled over what was used to make this breed more robust, slightly larger and add the beautiful color pigmentations. If you compare the common buff colored orp to the blue, you will identify major differences in many ways yet it is still classified as an orpington. I was never able to find a breeder other than Hatcheries to obtain this new strain and just about everyone I have read up on thats breeding them acquired their stock from hatcheries originally. There has been a very tight draw string on the history and makings. I dont know where these birds rank as far as professional showings and how they are classified.
barnie.gif
Talk about controlling the purse strings!

I have found the Orpington to be a fantastic breed in many pleasing ways. They are a very mild mannered docile breed and can adapt to almost any conditions they are faced with. They are considered dual purpose and can definitely provide a nice egg count along with a decent table fare carcass for eating. The most recent addition of the Blue Orpington strain has me puzzled over what was used to make this breed more robust, slightly larger and add the beautiful color pigmentations. If you compare the common buff colored orp to the blue, you will identify major differences in many ways yet it is still classified as an orpington. I was never able to find a breeder other than Hatcheries to obtain this new strain and just about everyone I have read up on thats breeding them acquired their stock from hatcheries originally. There has been a very tight draw string on the history and makings. I dont know where these birds rank as far as professional showings and how they are classified.
barnie.gif
Talk about controlling the purse strings!

My brother has buffs. They are a nice chicken, but they look so different and his behave very different then my blues. I def prefer the blues or blacks. They are beautiful. I also love their temperament. When I see my brothers I also laugh that they are the same breed as mine but different color, Nothing alike at all.

Thanks, I just launched that page as most of my business (up to now) has mostly been through word of mouth referral, Craigslist and on Rare Breeds. Thought I'd use this off season to do some Networking and hopefully generate some interest.

Well I wish I had known about you this summer when I was out that way. I don't think I will be back this summer as they are coming here for my childs high school graduation. But I myself would love to get some from you they are so beautiful. Do you ship? Inbox me your info and all when you get the time so that when I talk to my motherinlaw I can let her know. They have to go to Alb. frequently for my father in laws appointments at the VA hospital.

Well I wish I had known about you this summer when I was out that way. I don't think I will be back this summer as they are coming here for my childs high school graduation. But I myself would love to get some from you they are so beautiful. Do you ship? Inbox me your info and all when you get the time so that when I talk to my motherinlaw I can let her know. They have to go to Alb. frequently for my father in laws appointments at the VA hospital.

Darn! Yes I do ship and am NPIP Certified and AI Clear. I can be contacted via email at: [email protected]

via Facebook at:
Facebook.Com/abqorpingtons

or by phone... i'll send that via pm!

Last edited:
What you stated is very true which is exactly my point! The blues may be of the same breed but I find them to be very different in many ways. I have always had buffies as I call them and I truly have a special place in my heart for the pleasure these birds have given me.
love.gif

Last summer, we purchased our first BBS Orps from Papa's Poultry. Of the 6 chicks we received we have, for sure, 2 blue pullets, 1 black pullet, 1 splash pullet and 1 blue cockrel. They are as beautiful as they are sweet and we are totally in love. Since this is our first foray into the world of BBS Orps, I need your expert opinions on our sweet girl Miss Duncan, is she a Blue or a Black? She falls somewhere in between and I would appreciate some expert in put. Thanks!!!

Last summer, we purchased our first BBS Orps from Papa's Poultry. Of the 6 chicks we received we have, for sure, 2 blue pullets, 1 black pullet, 1 splash pullet and 1 blue cockrel. They are as beautiful as they are sweet and we are totally in love. Since this is our first foray into the world of BBS Orps, I need your expert opinions on our sweet girl Miss Duncan, is she a Blue or a Black? She falls somewhere in between and I would appreciate some expert in put. Thanks!!!
You don't have to take my advice, I have had a couple of BBS orps, but definitely not an expert. But in my opinion she looks like a darker blue, again I am just giving my opinion!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

You don't have to take my advice, I have had a couple of BBS orps, but definitely not an expert. But in my opinion she looks like a darker blue, again I am just giving my opinion!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

I was leaning toward blue, but when she is not in the sun she looks black. It is crazy. However, our black pullet, Cookie, has that beautiful green iridescent sheen that Miss Duncan does not have so you are probably right, she is a dark...very dark blue.

Back
Top Bottom