Blue rock pullet not laying yet

Hilltop Flock

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
Indiana, USA
Hi, I have 2 Blue rock pullets that I purchased on the same day at a hatchery. They are about 6 months. One began laying almost a month ago. She has a big full comb and wattles. The other is not laying yet and her comb and wattles seem to be growing and getting more red, but very slowly. The other one seemed to have developed her comb and wattles in the blink of an eye. Is it normal for 2 birds with similar age/environment to be at differing points of maturity, or is something possibly wrong with the non-lauer?
B6E0E421-C054-4C4A-B5FF-FB8504025A68.jpeg

Is it normal for 2 birds with similar age/environment to be at differing points of maturity,

Totally absolutely normal, even for full sisters. Heredity does play a part but other things matter too.

or is something possibly wrong with the non-lauer?

Anything is possible, with chickens you can never say never. Some will be better layers than others, even full sisters. Some start earlier than others. As long as she is acting normal odds are she is healthy and will eventually start laying, but you never know for sure.

I think what Aart is implying is that sometimes they hide a nest on you. They are really laying but you don't see the eggs. Is it possible she is hiding a nest? Odds are she hasn't started laying yet but that's fairly common.

I think what Aart is implying is that sometimes they hide a nest on you. They are really laying but you don't see the eggs. Is it possible she is hiding a nest? Odds are she hasn't started laying yet but that's fairly common.
Was thinking more that they are both laying but every other day...or less.
But hidden nest is a possibility.
Then....maybe...
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

The bird with the smaller comb looks to be red enough to be laying.
I suggest an exam.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I examined both of their butts and, there is a clear difference between their cloacas. Nanny’s is narrower, Yvonne’s is wider as described.

I’ve looked around the property for hidden eggs but haven’t found any yet. Yvonne has been laying 6 out of seven days for the last 2 weeks. Or maybe Nanny is laying too, but I caught Yvonne laying 3 days in a row this week. What do you think?

Was thinking more that they are both laying but every other day...or less.
But hidden nest is a possibility.
Then....maybe...
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for hidden eggs. Thanks for the advice! I kinda think it might be that she is a late bloomer. But if you read my reply to aart, maybe not!

Back
Top Bottom