Blue Silkie feet

jgcalifornia

Songster
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Does anyone know if these feet look normal for a blue silkie?
She has these tough whitish chunks around her toes and sometimes they fall off. She has always had rough looking feet and toes but I don't really have anything to compare her to so thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if these feet look normal for a blue silkie? She has these tough whitish chunks around her toes and sometimes they fall off. She has always had rough looking feet and toes but I don't really have anything to compare her to so thought I would ask. Thanks!
I don't have Silkies but my mother has a ton of them and from what I've seen it doesn't look normal but hopefully a more experienced person will be along shortly to help.

Last edited:
I googled and I believe they should look like this...normal chickens feet with feathers of course though.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info.
I thought so to at first but there are never any mites on her feet or toes.

Thanks for all the info.
I thought so to at first but there are never any mites on her feet or toes.

From the little I know, I think they're pretty hard to see as they're normally under the scales of the leg/foot, the symptoms are what is typically visible. I'd treat for scaly leg mites.

Last edited:
Copy that.
I soak her feet about twice a week which loosens everything up. But I will see what I can do about treatment.
Thanks everyone! :)

Go down to your feed store, and get a can of Bag Balm. Slather that stuff all over those legs. Repeat as necessary until the legs are normal looking. It suffocates the mites, and is somewhat medicinal.

Will do. I've been doing coconut oil but will give the Bag Balm a try.
Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom