Blue-skinned chick...

Madie'sOddFlock

Songster
5 Years
Apr 17, 2018
Maine
The only blue-skinned adults that I have are my silkies, but this chick most definitely didn't come from them. Otherwise, I have plenty of blue legged chickens between EEs, a blue Andalusian, and crosses, but none of them are blue-skinned. Now in my 7-week old chicks, I have one chick(I think it's a roo, but without a red comb I'm not totally sure) who has all blue skin. Any idea how this can happen?

Why are you sure the chick didn't have a silkie parent?

If a silkie is not a parent, I'll guess some one or more of your other chickens carry the right genes to produce blue skin in a chick, but I don't know which chicken(s) they might be :)

Why are you sure the chick didn't have a silkie parent?

If a silkie is not a parent, I'll guess some one or more of your other chickens carry the right genes to produce blue skin in a chick, but I don't know which chicken(s) they might be :)
The Silkies are separated along with the rest of my bantams, and I wasn't hatching from them at the time, and they never get out. Plus he's bigger than even the Brahmas that he hatched with...

Good reasons! I agree, it sounds like no silkie parents for that puzzling chick.

Sorry I don't have any good guesses which of your other chickens caused that blue skin, or how the genetics of that worked out.

Back
Top Bottom