Blue Slates - show me yours! - pic heavy

orumpoultry

Songster
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
Trinity, TX
Hello all! I just really want to brag on Tucker and his two ladies, who why not let everyone get some bragging time in? Just recently started seeing signs of a beard on Tucker. My #1 hen is still not laying, but my #2 hen is on a clutch of eggs. Royal palm eggs that made a trip all the way from Georgia!

A few days ago Tucker and the ladies ( well, just Diane for now as Deena is on a clutch ) were pleasantly surprised to see their tiny pen expand. It was 16x16 L shaped. Took down one 8x8 section and replaced it with 500 new square feet to play in. Guess who already destroyed the grass? Yup. Diane...

Tucker is also trying to grow back new tail feathers rather quickly. He's going through a molt so badly that I'm raking up a 5lb bucket of feathers a day... Or it may just be the really rough mating on his part. At what age will he figure out how to mount and release the poor girls? Right now it's taking him a full 5 minutes to get situated up there, and I'm still getting sterile eggs....

Tucker and Diane enjoying the expansion.

One half of his tail has been 'fixed' the other tail feathers are still growing back in.

Tucker's little beard... can you SEE it?

droolin.gif
- ignore the rogue mustang...

She's awefully pale still... But they've been mating for over a month. Where are my eggs, Diane?

My little lavender stalker. She will fly the coop and follow me around the yard.

If I wasn't en route to bed I would type up a funny story about Mrs. Diane... maybe tomorrow.

This is Kahne and some of his girls.

And this is one of their poults

I love them. I also raise Royal Palms, Midget Whites, Chocolates, Rio Grandes and waiting on my Sweetgrass to get here.

Kahne is a handsome man! I can't wait on Tucker to mature completely. They're my first heritage breed and I have some Royal Palms under my broody black hen. I don't know if the blacks are wanted or not, I hear a lot of contradictions on them. To my knowledge they're needed to continue the color... but also unwanted because they're not blue. Oh well, I love her.

Barred Babies - do I see a black in your clutch? My black is buck wild! Doesn't make any since as Tucker and Diane stalk me around the yard, while the black ( when she's not broody ) stays as far away from me as she can.

That is a chicken.....they can get into the pens. LOL

Blue Slates hatch out blue, slate or black. There is nothing wrong with your hen. I am getting some Self Blues and that is all they will hatch is blue.

I love turkey's, they are so sweet, I just put about 45 out on the ground in their grow out pen. They dont know what to think they have been on wire for a good while. LOL

I have one of each. I feel like it's like BBS in chickens, yes? My black hen goes broody at the drop of a hat, where as the blue hen laid her first egg just yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom