Blue Swedish Ducks???

I really like my Swedish. I lucked out and found 2 female blues at the auction last fall to go with my black pair. They are not really flighty like the smaller ducks. Not quite as friendly as my Muscovy, but once you catch them, they settle down fine. Oh, they aren't very loud at all either. The females quack sometimes, but its nothing like the noise a call duck can make.

They are laying like crazy...I have 3 doz of their eggs in the fridge now. Last month between the 3 females, they made 2 nice nests and filled them with 30 eggs each. I left them, hoping they would sit on them, but they didn't. I have 6 of their eggs in the bator right now with little duckies swimming around in them. I am not getting my hopes up though, my bator has issues with letting my eggs hatch! Plus I have never incubated a duck egg before lol. I gave my Muscovy 16 of their eggs to sit on, but it must be her first time setting on eggs, she ends up sitting on the floor of the duck house with the eggs in a circle around her, so I am not getting my hopes up there either.

Last edited:
I hate to piggy back your post but are your Blue swedish ducks loud or quieter ducks? I've read websites that way they are one of the quietest ducks and then I've read ones that say they can be compared to a call duck

Last edited:
Mine are wayyy quieter than my Call ducks were. I sold my Calls, they did too much screeching and felt the need to send out warning calls for every little noise! My Swedish only really quack when I first let them out of their house in the mornings. I think they are yelling at me for not getting out there sooner lol.

I think it might depend on the individual duck. I have a Black Swedish house duck, and man is she vocal!

Complains about EVERYTHING, and god help you if you're late letting her out of her crate in the morning-- you can't do anything else until you do, because you can't hear over the racket.

LoL cute. Mine hover on the other side of their duck house door, chattering away and come flooding out, like they have been locked in there for days! I swear they are complaining amongst themselves with stuff like "Man she is soooo slow", "Can you believe she makes us wait like this", "Look now she is going to stand in the way so we can't get to the food", "Move it woman, out of our run", "Git, git, git"!!!

I don't hear much from them during the day though. If they see grass in my hand they will quack moderately til they get some, but its not annoyingly loud or anything.

I won't get a goose or turkey because I don't want to annoy the neighbors too much. The ducks definitely aren't noisy enough to bother anyone.

I got 21 swedish ducklings from Ideal back in february - and they were spazzy.

I am down to the four I will be keeping, and without the extras, they have calmed down a LOT. I have a pair of call ducks who are pretty quiet - but I did have a call female who was loud. Only one of my swedish gets loud, a female, but she usually only quacks three to six times, then is quiet again for an hour or so, so I don't mind, it is cute to hear her go off every now and then.

My swedish are only 3 months old, so no laying yet, but I'll be interested in the answers, here, too.

meri

I got mine last March, and I want to say they started laying around August so about 20 weeks or so. Mine don't lay that many eggs, of course that could be because they tend to lay them in the pond itself so God only knows how many I wasn't able to fish out. Never found a nest anywhere. I've come to the conclusion ducks aren't the brightest bulbs in the closet. Mine are also what I would consider fairly loud.

Back
Top Bottom