Blue Swedish Gender

Swiegand

Chirping
Apr 27, 2022
I have a 7 week old blue swedish duck, blueberry, that I am still trying to determine it's gender. It's bill is still dark slate gray and has not quacked yet which I know can take up to 10 weeks or so, but I have 2 younger hens that have already quacked. I know blue swedish tend to have a very calm and docile demeaner. I know blue swedish drakes have a greenish blue bill and hens have a dark slate gray bill. When do blue swedish drakes start to see color change in their bill?

Tried to upload a picture or video, but.... technology🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
Beak color is not always completely accurate way of telling gender in ducks. Voice is the most accurate way to tell. Have you tried picking that one duck up and walked away with the duck from the flock. They are more likely to talk of being removed from the flock. Otherwise, in a few weeks they should be molting and getting in their adult feathers, including the Drake curl.

Beak color is not always completely accurate way of telling gender in ducks. Voice is the most accurate way to tell. Have you tried picking that one duck up and walked away with the duck from the flock. They are more likely to talk of being removed from the flock. Otherwise, in a few weeks they should be molting and getting in their adult feathers, including the Drake curl.
I have picked it up, but maybe I need to go further away.

I have picked it up, but maybe I need to go further away.
Yeah they don't always cooperate. I had a duckling last summer that took forever to start quacking. She was sexed from a hatchery, but there is always the chance they get one wrong. She was super quiet for a long time. It was not until like almost 13 weeks of age before I was 100% confident she was a female. Now she is super loud!

Yeah they don't always cooperate. I had a duckling last summer that took forever to start quacking. She was sexed from a hatchery, but there is always the chance they get one wrong. She was super quiet for a long time. It was not until like almost 13 weeks of age before I was 100% confident she was a female. Now she is super loud!
This gives me so much hope🤣

Back
Top Bottom