Blue swedish without bibb? Is this a thing?

Here you can see the chocolate and swedish. My previous blue swedish looked exactly the same as the black swedish, except blue.
DSC_0485.JPG
DSC_0487.JPG

I would still be suspicious of it being a blue runner that's not true to type. I don't keep runners myself, but I've heard that some runners don't stand as straight and tall from certain hatcheries.
I think this might be the case for me. Every photo of swedish blue ducklings shows a lighter bib and even lighter areas on the beak and feet. My "shorter" looking runner doesn't have any of those features. I think she is just not going to be as upright as her sisters. Plus, she is just tinier all around. My ducklings are only a few days old so she has time to get a little "taller" so we shall see. It's actually very exciting watching them grow and change!

I cant really tell how hes standing by the pic, but that looks like a blue runner. My blue swedish girls had the bib, white wing tips and a little white around the eyes. The fact that theres no white (yellow) on him makes me think runner.

Thanks for all of the comments so far. I have some fawn and white runner ducklings that really do stand up straight, so that's why I was dismissing (perhaps incorrectly) the gray from being a blue runner. But really had no idea if I could have a blue runner that didn't stand tall, or a swedish without a bibb, or something else entirely. Regardless, I'm attached to he/she and am curious to see what he/she looks like in a few weeks / months. :) Feel free to continue, I love to learn about these things.

I’ve a Blue Swedish duck and among a hatch last year I had a grey duckling and hoped it was another Swede. She is very large bodied with greyishblue feathers like her mom but no bib and a few black feathers. He father was likely a Welsh Harlequin or a Cayuga drake. I understand Blue Swedish require dominate genes in order to produce offspring with a bib.

Somewhere online I found a four square gene chart just for ducks. It’s out there somewhere....

I think i have one similar to what your talking about. Been trying to figure out the breed as well!

Attachments

• 20210527_231521.jpg
    20210527_231521.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 14
I’ve a Blue Swedish duck and among a hatch last year I had a grey duckling and hoped it was another Swede. She is very large bodied with greyishblue feathers like her mom but no bib and a few black feathers. He father was likely a Welsh Harlequin or a Cayuga drake. I understand Blue Swedish require dominate genes in order to produce offspring with a bib.

Somewhere online I found a four square gene chart just for ducks. It’s out there somewhere....
And I stand corrected? This little one hatched 2 or so days ago appears to have a bib! Drake is not Blue Swedish but a Welsh Harlequin... I guess Id better find that square chart and experiment a little.

Attachments

• 378ABB8F-0D31-4D71-8D3D-A21695960E02.jpeg
    378ABB8F-0D31-4D71-8D3D-A21695960E02.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom