Blue swedish without bibb? Is this a thing?

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
I am still trying to figure out what my random gray duckling from rural king (hoovers hatchery) might wind up being. I don't know much about duck color/marking genetics. I've been in the dog world for a while but ducks are a new hobby. Could my gray duckling be a blue swedish without a bibb?

I have a blue swedish with a bibb... and then I have this random gray duckling. Looks pretty much identical in stance and coloring to my blue swedish... just without a bibb. It's definitely not a blue runner... so I'm not really sure what else it could be? I presume its not a mix since it came from rural king by way of hoovers. So wondering if its just a "mis-marked" swedish - is that even a thing in ducks? (aka swedish without typical swedish markings).

Here’s a photo

Attachments

• 86CFA7EE-3E32-4BA3-8712-C77C991F09C3.jpeg
    86CFA7EE-3E32-4BA3-8712-C77C991F09C3.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 19
I have a chocolate, black and fawn and white runner ducklings. The fawn and white runner is very vertical. The chocolate and black are becoming more vertical overtime. Mine are 2-3 weeks old. All three are very lean. Swedish are not lean ducks. I have a swedish duckling too. If I can get a good pic of the two I can show you the difference.

Thanks for all of the comments so far. I have some fawn and white runner ducklings that really do stand up straight, so that's why I was dismissing (perhaps incorrectly) the gray from being a blue runner. But really had no idea if I could have a blue runner that didn't stand tall, or a swedish without a bibb, or something else entirely. Regardless, I'm attached to he/she and am curious to see what he/she looks like in a few weeks / months. :) Feel free to continue, I love to learn about these things.

I cant really tell how hes standing by the pic, but that looks like a blue runner. My blue swedish girls had the bib, white wing tips and a little white around the eyes. The fact that theres no white (yellow) on him makes me think runner.

Back
Top Bottom